sodium or calcium hypochlorite

Sep 15, 2013
guys,

I am looking to supplement the tablets I am using in my 17000 gallon pool.
I am using liquid chlorine with is 12.5% sodium H/C.
I am wondering if a 1lb packet of shock containing 68% calcium H/C is cheaper/ more conventient and will add more chlorine to my pool. I think 1 packet would be enough just to supplement my chlorine.

Thoughts ?

- - - Updated - - -

or do I have this wrong and should be comparing liquid chlorine to Concentrated Chlorinating Granules . If that is the case am I getting more for my money with granule over liquid chlorine

If your pool needs additional Calcium or Cyanuric Acid, then Cal-hypo or dichlor might be an economical solution. Without knowing your test results, there's no way to tell. Maybe you're already too high on CYA or CH? :confused: You could end up making a bad situation worse, which is no saving at all.

This article in Pool School will explain the advantage and disadvantages of the various forms of chlorine.

Without information on the cost of each source of chlorine, we can't answer that. Other factors also come into play, such as your current CYA & CH levels and what type of pool surface you have.

How to Chlorinate your Pool in Pool School explains each source of Chlorine.

--EDIT: Richard beat me to it! :)

:testresults: This would really help us answer your question. All forms of chlorine will sanitize the pool. The determining factor as to which form of chlorine is best for you starts with determining the current CYA and CH levels of your pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.