Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sodium or calcium hypochlorite

1. Back To Top    #1

sodium or calcium hypochlorite

I am looking to supplement the tablets I am using in my 17000 gallon pool.
    I am using liquid chlorine with is 12.5% sodium H/C.
    I am wondering if a 1lb packet of shock containing 68% calcium H/C is cheaper/ more conventient and will add more chlorine to my pool. I think 1 packet would be enough just to supplement my chlorine.

Thoughts ?

- - - Updated - - -

or do I have this wrong and should be comparing liquid chlorine to Concentrated Chlorinating Granules . If that is the case am I getting more for my money with granule over liquid chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sodium or calcium hypochlorite

did you read the BBB method yet?

- - - Updated - - -

the reason for the BBB method is tablets usually puts in too much CYA and it could take a lot of
    chlorine to shock.
    if CYA is low enough just a small amount of chlorine is needed to shock the pool.
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If your pool needs additional Calcium or Cyanuric Acid, then Cal-hypo or dichlor might be an economical solution. Without knowing your test results, there's no way to tell. Maybe you're already too high on CYA or CH? You could end up making a bad situation worse, which is no saving at all.

This article in Pool School will explain the advantage and disadvantages of the various forms of chlorine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    North Central WV

Without information on the cost of each source of chlorine, we can't answer that. Other factors also come into play, such as your current CYA & CH levels and what type of pool surface you have.

How to Chlorinate your Pool in Pool School explains each source of Chlorine.

--EDIT: Richard beat me to it!
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

5. Back To Top    #5
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. Depends the unit cost and if you want the byproducts in your pool or not.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6
    DFW, Texas

This would really help us answer your question. All forms of chlorine will sanitize the pool. The determining factor as to which form of chlorine is best for you starts with determining the current CYA and CH levels of your pool water.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.