Stainless steel and pool water heater

Charlie_R

TFP Expert
May 8, 2013
Mexico, MO
I was recently given a length of 1-1/2" stainless steel tubing. I am thinking of redoing the manifold for the coils of my pool heater with this.

What problems should I be anticipating if I do use this?

Will it add unwanted metals into my water?

How fast would it corrode if silver soldered to the copper serpentine coils?

Stainless steel comes in several different grades, only the highest of which are safe for use with a swimming pool. The odds are fairly good that what you have is not of a high enough grade, though there is no telling unless you happen to know what grade it is.

I'd be wary. Stainless steel will rust, as anyone who owns a boat can attest. Nothing like rust stains embedded in the gel coat below the stanchion. Or as this picture shows.
pool-rust.jpg

I have a home built wood fired heater. 30' of 3/4" copper tube split into 5 serpentine coils. Headers on both ends are currently 3/4", and I'm wanting to increase flow rate through the coils by replacing the current headers with 1-1/2". Everything I've read here and on other websites points to needing high flow through the coils to maximize heat transfer to the pool.

Current configuration gives me a 4-7* rise (dT), intake to return at about 500 gph. If I can increase the flow rate to somewhere between 1000-1500 gph, my dT through the system will drop, but the higher volume will allow more heat to be extracted from the flue gasses, warming the pool faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.