Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stainless steel and pool water heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Stainless steel and pool water heater

I was recently given a length of 1-1/2" stainless steel tubing. I am thinking of redoing the manifold for the coils of my pool heater with this.

What problems should I be anticipating if I do use this?

Will it add unwanted metals into my water?

How fast would it corrode if silver soldered to the copper serpentine coils?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stainless steel and pool water heater

Stainless steel comes in several different grades, only the highest of which are safe for use with a swimming pool. The odds are fairly good that what you have is not of a high enough grade, though there is no telling unless you happen to know what grade it is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd be wary. Stainless steel will rust, as anyone who owns a boat can attest. Nothing like rust stains embedded in the gel coat below the stanchion. Or as this picture shows.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info!

Grade unknown. Now if I can find some 1-1/2" copper tube.....

Reason I asked, my heater currently has 3/4" headers feeding 3/4" coils. Not high enough flow rate for what I'm trying to do.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

What heater do you have and what are you trying to accomplish?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a home built wood fired heater. 30' of 3/4" copper tube split into 5 serpentine coils. Headers on both ends are currently 3/4", and I'm wanting to increase flow rate through the coils by replacing the current headers with 1-1/2". Everything I've read here and on other websites points to needing high flow through the coils to maximize heat transfer to the pool.

Current configuration gives me a 4-7* rise (dT), intake to return at about 500 gph. If I can increase the flow rate to somewhere between 1000-1500 gph, my dT through the system will drop, but the higher volume will allow more heat to be extracted from the flue gasses, warming the pool faster.