Need a new pump motor soon. What to order?

Aug 2, 2008
Georgetown, TX
Hi there.

I currently have a 2HP WhisperFlow single speed. Part number is 177476-20.

I am wondering if I should just replace it with another Pentair motor or something else? I assume Pentair, but sometimes other motors are actually better than originals.

I saw A.O. Smith motors and starting my research on what type of motor to get.

BTW, I plan on servicing my bad motor if I can. I know my bearings will be close to shot, not sure until I take it apart.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Forgot to mention the SF is 1.1

Bob - I don't understand what you are saying. I saw videos on how to service.. Not a big deal, but I figure I will buy a new motor then work on the bad one and keep for a spare.

I found a pentair replacemetn for $260 which is not bad. Just curious if something like an AO Smith is better???

From what I've found there are 3 or 4 major manufactures, they all make reliable products. I've actually picked up a rebuilt 2 speed for the price of a single speed. Couldn't be happier.
Pumps have the wet end and the motor. Always match the motor size up. Multiply HP by the SF. Match that number up.
Pentair doesn't make motors, they purchase them from the manufactures.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Very few companies make motors. Pentair just buys their motors from another company. The key things to look for include: matching the motor frame size, matching or exceeding the SFHP (SF times HP), and energy efficient or not.

As long as you are buying a new motor, you might as well get a two speed. In nearly all situations a two speed will save you a great deal on electrical costs.

Because running on low speed most of the time will save a good bit of electricity. What kind of controller do you have? Add your pool details to your signature.

You could just have the timer control the on and off and a manual switch control the speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.