I purchased a new Loop Loc Mesh cover for our 18x36 IG Vinyl pool in November of last year. I installed it myself.
This spring, I noticed two tears in the cover. I sent the a photo to Loop Loc, to which they replied: "The damange on your cover appears to be a punture. Please send the attached form along with your cover to Loop Loc for an evaluation/repairs.
Any questions please contact us". I noticed the second tear afterwards and I haven't approached them about it yet.
This is not the forum to argue the point, but I don't think it was a puncture. We have no trees within 50' of our pool, nothing that isn't anchored to the ground is outside in the winter.
I called them to discuss this, and the upshot of the conversation was this:
- Only by shipping the cover to them, at my cost, can they determine if the damage is covered by warranty. They make this judgement based on their "years of experience", no objective standards. If they say it's a puncture, it's a puncture. Period.
- If I send it to them 'dirty', no matter whether I have them repair it or not, it costs $210 for them to 'clean' it. They have no objective measurement of what 'dirty' is or not.
- If the damaged can be patched, the charge is $108.
- If the panel needs to be replaced, they rip out every panel from the damaged panel to the edge, at a cost of $168 each.
- If they decide the damage is not warrantied, and I decide not to have the damage repaired, they charge $96.
- Regardless of whether a repair is performed, under warranty or not, I'm responsible for shipping both ways.
So in total, It costs a minimum (assuming $35 shipping each way), learning if it's covered will cost $170, if it needs repaired out of warranty (it's on the second panel in), it will cost about $430, perhaps as much as $640 if they decide I didn't 'clean' it enough. The cover costs $1,400.
So, TFP, I ask:
- Are small holes and tears like this normal, does it affect the performance or life of the cover -- should I have it repaired or not?
- Are there any DIY repair methods?
- Is my description of Loop Loc's policies, above, similar to what you've encountered, either with Loop Loc or other companies?
- Should I expect this to happen every year?