Will using liquid chlorine lead to a fading of the liner?

I've had my pool for 1.5 summers, and used BBB exclusively. I have an autocover for any time the pool isn't in use, and typically only need to add 14 oz of chlorine a day to stay around my 3-4 ppm chlorine target. I'm a "data guy", and generally measure chemistry daily (and maintain a spreadsheet to record anything put into my water). I've found BBB to work well- very economical, consistent pH, and crystal clear water.

With that as background, I have to say that I was disappointed to see that my liner had indeed faded below the water line following the first full summer of operation. Not terrible, but very noticeable once I drained 6" water out for closing. There's no question- some fading occurred.

Now, the question: would it have faded the same/more/less had I used trichlor tabs, etc? I can't answer based on any experiences of my own. But, I will say that my pool guys (who are generally oblivious to anything other than trichlor for most of their customers) said they thought my liner fading was "normal".

IMO- anyone who says liquid chlorine will PREVENT fading isn't being honest. That doesn't mean it isn't the way I'd still operate a pool, though.

I'm no expert, but liners will fade no matter what, thats just a fact of life. Whether or not it is due specifically to chlorine, muriatic acid, CYA, Solar, any other thing in the water or any combination of these is probably a "maybe". I'm not aware of any study by the pool scientific community on the subject.

There may also be some merit to consider the different fade and chemical resistance propertys of the ink (or whatever it is) which different manufacturers use for the print on the liner

All liners fade over time and there are multiple factors that contribute to that, including the volume of chlorine used, the type of chlorine doesn't matter. Now if you are using liquid chorine and dump it quickly in one spot, that may lead to localized fading at the pour site, but if you pour it slowly in front of a running return it will mix into the water quickly and avoid localized fading.

Hello,

Welcome to TFP both of you! I hope you find the info you gain on TFP useful and enjoyable!!

Onto the question......All forms of chlorine CAN lead to fading on the liner if used incorrectly. If you add too much chlorine at once then you do risk fading a liner. If you let a trichlor puck sit against the wall for to long, you will fade the liner. If however you keep your chlorine levels in check with your CYA levels, and always poor the chlorine slowly in front of a running return, then the added risk of fading the liner is very very very low. Chlorine is chlorine which is chlorine. All forms will lead to some fading over the years. Using liquid chlorine will not lead to any extra risk of fading in our minds.....it won't prevent fading all together however. Nor have we claimed that it would. All liners do fade rather noticeably in the first few years, and all liners will slowly fade during their lifetime. There have been thousands of users now over the past 15 or so years using the teachings taught here (liquid chlorine has been used long before TFP came about) and the stories of faded liners are almost zero. I've had my chlorine levels very high with very low levels of stabilizer, and have seen no fading what-so-ever. This is however in a 15 year old liner where some fading as already occurred. The idea that liquid chlorine will increase the risk of a faded liner is simply nothing more than a Pool Store fib.

attachment.php

Ok they say pictures are worth a thousand words, I have an indoor pool so fading from light is minimal, This one was taken last summer when I needed to rig a temporary circulation pump due to a plumbing problem. The liner in that photo is about 9 years old, and liquid chlorine has been its primary chlorination source for most of those years.

Having said that all types of chlorine can bleach liners if not properly applied, for liquid chlorine we suggest adding it in front of the returns poured slowly.

Ike

Thanks for the help and advice. I have been using liquid chlorine for past 4 years and have noticed a fade in the liner. Just didn't know if it was normal or not. I have been adding the chlorine directly into the skimmer basket and not infront of a jet. We were hit hard by the May tornado last year in Oklahoma. Just now getting the pool cleaned out of debris and replaced the liner. My wife is worried about the fading using bleach again. I will let her read your posts and hopefully allay her fears.

Like several others have stated, chlorine is chlorine. Switching to a different type of chlorine will not reduce or increase the rate of fading. The key with liquid chlorine is to add it properly and dose it in accordance with your pool's CYA level. We recommend pouring liquid chlorine in a slow stream in front of a return line. As you pour the chlorine into the water, the stream coming from the measuring cup should be about the width of a standard pencil.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.