Variable speed and SWG upgrade

Apr 17, 2014
United States
New poster here but long time reader.

My hayward super pump died last end of last season and I need to replace it this year. I'm looking to replace it with a variable speed motor and I would like to convert my pool into SWG as well. I have a sand filter and a heater and live in the north east.

1. Should I buy a EcoTech EZ® Variable Speed and just replace the motor or should I replace the entire pump. If replace the entire pump what variable speed pump is recommended?

2. What SWG should I buy

3. I currently have a manual timer and don't how the timer would operate with the new variable speed motor (since some of the motors have a timer built in) and also how the timer would work with the SWG? Does the SWG needs it's own timer? What is recommended from a wiring perspective?

With electricity that low, you won't be able to pay back the cost of a full VS pump, but the EcoTech is still a worthwhile option. If you for some reason need a full pump, I would suggest a two speed pump. But if replacing only the motor is practical, the EcoTech is a better choice.

Generally with a setup like yours you want to use an external timer to control both the pump and SWG, so that the SWG is never turned on when the pump is off. The pump should allow you to program a speed that it will return to automatically when power is applied.

For SWG, there are choices, none ideal, but several alright. The CircuPool 45 Si is the current value leader, however it is quite new and has no history to base reliability on. AquaRite is a very solid brand. When they have minor issues, there are so many of them out there that it is simple to find information on fixing them. AutoPilot is a wonder high end unit, with some nice additional features, which are not essential, but very pleasant.

Thanks for the great and super quick information!

With electricity that low, you won't be able to pay back the cost of a full VS pump, but the EcoTech is still a worthwhile option. If you for some reason need a full pump, I would suggest a two speed pump. But if replacing only the motor is practical, the EcoTech is a better choice.

What pool supply store can I use that I can give them the exact model of my hayward super pump and then can ship a replacement ecotech that will fit. In other words a pool supply store that know it's parts. Can I tell from my motor if it is wired for 120 or 230 or do I have to get a voltmeter? I think the EcoTech only works with 230.

Generally with a setup like yours you want to use an external timer to control both the pump and SWG, so that the SWG is never turned on when the pump is off. The pump should allow you to program a speed that it will return to automatically when power is applied.

I have a manual time right now. Will a new timer be able to control two different things. If I had time I would do something like (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=42916) where he built a custom rasberry pi to control his device. What timer can I buy which will control the two units to replace my manual timer. Will that interfere with the ecotech timer?

For SWG, there are choices, none ideal, but several alright. The CircuPool 45 Si is the current value leader, however it is quite new and has no history to base reliability on. AquaRite is a very solid brand. When they have minor issues, there are so many of them out there that it is simple to find information on fixing them. AutoPilot is a wonder high end unit, with some nice additional features, which are not essential, but very pleasant.

Do I have space to install one of the SWG? (see my setup below)

Attachments

• 20140417_114633.jpg
    20140417_114633.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 70
Few pool techs will install something like the EcoTech motor, you will need to call around.

Any timer can control both the pump and SWG, just wire them both to the same power output terminals.

You don't have enough space to install a SWG in-line in your existing plumbing. Still, with a little creativity you can fit it in there by adding an additional run of pipe that goes out to the side and then comes back to where it started.

Few pool techs will install something like the EcoTech motor, you will need to call around.

I saw the video on how to install the ECOTECH and am going to try as DIY with the help of my handy man.

Any timer can control both the pump and SWG, just wire them both to the same power output terminals.

Ok. Makes sense. Do I set the timer on the pump and the mechanical timer to run at the same time? Are there any digital timers that you recommend (especially ones that give some updates via wifi) if I wanted to change my mechanical filter.

You don't have enough space to install a SWG in-line in your existing plumbing. Still, with a little creativity you can fit it in there by adding an additional run of pipe that goes out to the side and then comes back to where it started.

I guessed as much. I'm comfortable working with pvc piping. Are there special things I need to watch out for when working with pool plumbing? Any how to or video you can recommend. Also is the SWG added after the water is heated?

Don't use the timer on the pump, it should have a mode designed for use with an external timer. Make the mechanical timer determine when the pump runs. If you set them up in parallel they could get out of sync and then there would be problems.

You want the SWG last, after pump, filter, and heater. If you have a spa or water feature it should be after the split, so the SWG only feeds the pool.

I'm not the best one to ask about PVC plumbing, hopefully someone else will come along and answer that part of your question.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the information.

1. Will the timer only run one speed then?
2. What speed should I use for the sand filter and heater?
3. What should approximately be the price for a pool tech to replace the motor with EcoTec (not including parts)
4. What should be the labor of pool tech to install the SWG? (not including parts)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.