Vinyl Pool CH?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Is there such a thing as too low of CH for a vinyl pool? I ask because my fill water (well) CH is down to 20 ppm (it varies depending on season, droughts, etc. but is always below about 70 ppm). Looking for your thoughts, not just reciting numbers from pool school, etc.

Ike

Not really, but you can read more about this in the thread Did you know that Vinyl liners contain calcium? You can skip to the last post if you want where not saturating the water with calcium carbonate might be a problem for vinyl liners that contain high amounts of calcium carbonate (> 20%) since such vinyl liners were susceptible to chemicals including chlorine and acid while liners containing low amounts (< 7%) did not have such problems. We've got lots of vinyl liner pools on this forum and never had any reports of issues due to low CH and at least a few pools reported very low CH (one had literally zero, if I recall).

I had a similar question. My CH is only measuring 80 and I wonder if I should leave it alone or raise it ... I thought I read that for vinyl pools you need to test to make sure it isn't too high, but not sure about when it is lower than the recommended amount.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pool was put in around 1988 I believe, we've only owned it for the last 4 years and you could see the blisters with surface cracks since we've been here - though they appear to have gotten worse over the last couple of years. I believe we've kept the water pretty well balanced since we've had the pool, though we did convert to a SWCG - which I wouldn't think would have contributed to this issue. So I don't know if we've caused them to look worse or it's just been the timing. The first year we had the pool, didn't know anything about pools, had a pool company come out to show us the opening procedure. They handed me a bottle of test strips and told me to only worry about three of the four (told me stabilizer wasn't important). I later found this site and bought a real test kit. Apparently the stabilizer wasn't important because it was off the charts. The previous owner had been using tablets and apparently didn't monitor CYA either. I found TFP sometime in the first year of ownership and feel like the water balance has been pretty good since then. Feel like the chlorine and CYA had been high for several years before and have no idea if pH was monitored before we bought the house.

It's my understanding that the staining in the surface cracks is caused by cobalt leaching out of the layer under the finish layer on the steps. Tested calcium yesterday and we're at about 90. Not really sure calcium is part of the problem, but am going to do a little more research. Was interested if bumpy was having any luck slowing down his blistering by altering his calcium levels.

Re: Did low calcium cause my fiberglass steps to blister?

As far as we know CSI has no relationship with fiberglass. The only confirmed effect is that CH below 200 with fiberglass seems to make metal staining more common/worse than it otherwise would be. And there remains the one engineer claiming it was important to prevent cobalt from being leached from the gelcoat, though how that might work no one can figure out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.