Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl Pool CH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl Pool CH?

Is there such a thing as too low of CH for a vinyl pool? I ask because my fill water (well) CH is down to 20 ppm (it varies depending on season, droughts, etc. but is always below about 70 ppm). Looking for your thoughts, not just reciting numbers from pool school, etc.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl Pool CH?

Not really, but you can read more about this in the thread Did you know that Vinyl liners contain calcium? You can skip to the last post if you want where not saturating the water with calcium carbonate might be a problem for vinyl liners that contain high amounts of calcium carbonate (> 20%) since such vinyl liners were susceptible to chemicals including chlorine and acid while liners containing low amounts (< 7%) did not have such problems. We've got lots of vinyl liner pools on this forum and never had any reports of issues due to low CH and at least a few pools reported very low CH (one had literally zero, if I recall).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a similar question. My CH is only measuring 80 and I wonder if I should leave it alone or raise it ... I thought I read that for vinyl pools you need to test to make sure it isn't too high, but not sure about when it is lower than the recommended amount.
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine averages about 50 over the last 5 seasons........no apparent issues.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Our recommended CH level for a vinyl pool is 0-300, so you are comfortably in range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok ... I see the 0 now ... that's what I get for looking at numbers before my 2nd cup of coffee!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have fiberglass steps in your vinyl liner pool you likely want to maintain your CH. I have run into blistering on my fiberglass steps due to insufficient CH.
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

bumpy, what do you keep your CH at? Opening our pool now and staring at those darned blistered steps, would like to at least slow down development of more.
    19x43 Inground Vinyl Pool, approx 22 years old, no main drain, 2 (lopsided!) skimmers, 2 returns.
    1 HP Pentair Superflow Pump
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I am not aware of blistering in an FG that can be attributed to low CH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

How old were the steps before you started seeing any changes to the steps.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm at 80 too, and am just leaving it alone.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

12. Back To Top    #12

Our pool was put in around 1988 I believe, we've only owned it for the last 4 years and you could see the blisters with surface cracks since we've been here - though they appear to have gotten worse over the last couple of years. I believe we've kept the water pretty well balanced since we've had the pool, though we did convert to a SWCG - which I wouldn't think would have contributed to this issue. So I don't know if we've caused them to look worse or it's just been the timing. The first year we had the pool, didn't know anything about pools, had a pool company come out to show us the opening procedure. They handed me a bottle of test strips and told me to only worry about three of the four (told me stabilizer wasn't important). I later found this site and bought a real test kit. Apparently the stabilizer wasn't important because it was off the charts. The previous owner had been using tablets and apparently didn't monitor CYA either. I found TFP sometime in the first year of ownership and feel like the water balance has been pretty good since then. Feel like the chlorine and CYA had been high for several years before and have no idea if pH was monitored before we bought the house.

It's my understanding that the staining in the surface cracks is caused by cobalt leaching out of the layer under the finish layer on the steps. Tested calcium yesterday and we're at about 90. Not really sure calcium is part of the problem, but am going to do a little more research. Was interested if bumpy was having any luck slowing down his blistering by altering his calcium levels.
    19x43 Inground Vinyl Pool, approx 22 years old, no main drain, 2 (lopsided!) skimmers, 2 returns.
    1 HP Pentair Superflow Pump
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry guys .. just catching up ...

Here's an earlier thread on the matter at hand. It's worth a read through. Perhaps CSI may be the metric to look at: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...442#post534442
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Did low calcium cause my fiberglass steps to blister?

As far as we know CSI has no relationship with fiberglass. The only confirmed effect is that CH below 200 with fiberglass seems to make metal staining more common/worse than it otherwise would be. And there remains the one engineer claiming it was important to prevent cobalt from being leached from the gelcoat, though how that might work no one can figure out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School