Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Huntsville Al

Raising CYA

I am new at pool ownership and started using the TF100 test kit from the beginning last Fall. I am trying to raise the CYA slowly to about 40 ppm using Chlor tabs only. Once I get to 40, I am going to switch to 8.25 bleach for sanitizer. It seems like it is taking a long time to raise the CYA this way. Should I use a stabilizer to get the CYA higher? Or is my approach OK?
    Pool water looks great right now.

FC 3
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 110
    CH 190
    CYA 25
    Water temp 64
    22k gal, 18 x 36 IG vinyl, Pentair 320 cartridge filter, 3/4 HP 2 spd WhisperFlo pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, Dolphin Nautilus Plus

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Raising CYA

There is nothing wrong with your approach, provided that:

1. You understand all of the effects the trichlor will have on your pool while you're raising the CYA.
    2. You continually monitor and rebalance the chemistry to compensate for those effects.
    and 3. Switch back to bleach when the CYA reaches your target.

In your 19k gallon pool, each puck will only raise CYA by about 1.75ppm, so you're right about how long it's taking.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, CA

Re: Raising CYA

Welcome to TFP!

Ditto to what Smykowski said.

One other thing to keep in mind is that your chlorine (tab) demand has been low due to fall and winter conditions. In the upcoming months you should see your CYA rise at a faster pace as a byproduct of increased chlorine demand. You can then ditch the tabs for bleach.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM