Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Probably a stupid question....

1. Back To Top    #1

Probably a stupid question....

I'm putting in a variable speed Pentair (replacing whisperflow with intelliflo)...

I have a compool analog controller.

The instructions for the intelliflo are to hook the pump up directly to the power, and let the controller on the pump do the work of control. Obviously that hoses up the whole compool control because you now have to manually go out to the pump (its a ways away from my jacuzzi) and turn it on manually if you want to run the jacuzzi.

My question is this... why could you not run the power to the pump of the programmable compool circuit and just set the pump run time (on the pump built in controller) to run 24X7? That would always have the pump 'on' at the pump so that when the compool circuit switched on the pump would actually start working.

Any input appreciated...I know the Pentair manual says to hook it up direct but I'm looking for the 'why' part of that.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Massachusetts

Re: Probably a stupid question....

The only reason I can think the pump would need to be directly connected is if it required that power to retain your programming. I'm sure an owner of one will be along to chime in.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The IntelliFlo VS can certainly be used with an external timer. You don't program any of the internal timers, and it will resume the speed it had last time when it is turned on again. The only real issue, which isn't necessarily a problem, is that the external timer can't change the pump speed, you can only do that manually, when using this approach. I'm not sure about the VF.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

I have a pentair VS and what MassNerd and Jason said are right. If you want to run a program in the VS, you need constant power to the control.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!