High cya level

Apr 19, 2014
Arizona
Frequent reader, first time poster.
Just drained my pool 2 weeks ago, and put the recommended amount of cya to get it to 30, however 10 days later it is reading 70. I am Using liquid chlorine versus using tabs before I drained, any hope this number will go down, or did I over shoot badly on my cya input and will just have to ride it out
Thanks

Could be testing error :smile:

It will help if you post a full set of test results and tell us how you got them (test kit, pool store,.. )

Also tell us about your pool and equipment.

CYA of 70 (if that is correct) isn't bad in AZ & great if you use a SWG!

We need more information to help you better. Here's what we'd like to see:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I suspect either a) testing error or b) overdosing due to incorrect numbers entered in the calculator.
Where did you get the numbers? And what size is your pool? How much CYA did you add?

If it is accurate, it's not that big of a deal. 60 CYA would not be excessive for the Arizona sun, so you don;t have to drain that much to get ot down. Assuming there's no algae because it's a fresh fill, you could always maintain it for 70CYA, which means never let the FC drop below 5. You chlorine consumption won't be noticeably different, it's just harder to test when it's that high. You'll need a FAS-DPD test to do it.

Sorry for the missing info. First time through. I recently bought the fas-dpd testing kit and have tested cya twice with it, but it's pretty self explanatory for cya testing, so I don't think user error. I approximate 9000 gallon pool and put in 3.5 lbs of cya, although it is possible I overestimated pool size. Free chlorine was 4 today.
So assuming I use liquid chlorine to keep chlorine above 5 I should be ok and not see a rise in cya?

- - - Updated - - -

And off topic, not sure how I am missing it, but how do update my signature, can't seem to find that

Sorry for the missing info. First time through. I recently bought the fas-dpd testing kit and have tested cya twice with it, but it's pretty self explanatory for cya testing, so I don't think user error. I approximate 9000 gallon pool and put in 3.5 lbs of cya, although it is possible I overestimated pool size. Free chlorine was 4 today.
So assuming I use liquid chlorine to keep chlorine above 5 I should be ok and not see a rise in cya?
The CYA test is very subjective, and I have experimented with it extensively, even using the 50ppm standard solution to confirm my method. The difference between bright sunlight and bright overcast can make a difference. So can holding the view tube with thumb and fingertips versus thumb and just one fingertip. And the scale doesn't start at zero, so you may have had some residual in the water that was too low to read. In case you've missed the tip, most of us take a reading, pour it back in the bottle and give it another shake and take another reading. When you get 3 or 4 the same, that's your number. It's only taken me three years to get the same number three for three tests! It can take 10 or 12 in the beginning.

That said, you are absolutely correct about just adding bleach. Avoid powders and pucks and your CYA won't climb.

Thank you for all your help. A little off topic, this is my 2nd summer with pool, but after draining this offseason switched to liquid chlorine. Based on tests I seem to be dropping by about 4ppm every 48 hours, which has me burning thru chlorine. How often do you put in liquid chlorine, do you just figure how much you go thru on average and replace it daily?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.