Dark Green Pool

Just to keep you updated. I'm still trying to get the pH right. Added another 20oz of muriatic acid (up to 80oz in so far), still reading > 8.2 pH. A friend suggested that I may need to start vacuuming the pool first, that the muriatic acid is attacking the solids that may be in the bottom of the pool instead of effecting the pH. My plan was to start vacuuming and scrubbing once I started SLAMing because from what I've read, the algae will just grow back if I'm not at shock level. Should I vacuum and try to get it completely clean before the muriatic acid will start working? Also, I will need a vacuum, I guess I will search the forum to see what the "recomendation" is in that area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Get as much sludge out as you can as early in the process as you can. Heck, vacuuming and brushing will mix the acid you've been adding extremely well. And when the filter loads up and you backwash, you won't be backwashing out any of the chemicals you've been adding!

Ok, that makes sense. I've done a quick search in the forums and it appears a majority of the topics concerning pool cleaning is in regards to robot's. I currently have a small robot (I couldn't tell you a name or model at the moment). It's an electronic robot that doesn't attach to the pump, it just has an electrical wire that runs down to it. I am concerned about just dropping it in and letting it go to town because I don't have a clue what's down there. I was looking for something more along the manual line. Are there any suggested options? I will keep searching the forums.

Ok, that makes sense. I've done a quick search in the forums and it appears a majority of the topics concerning pool cleaning is in regards to robot's. I currently have a small robot (I couldn't tell you a name or model at the moment). It's an electronic robot that doesn't attach to the pump, it just has an electrical wire that runs down to it. I am concerned about just dropping it in and letting it go to town because I don't have a clue what's down there. I was looking for something more along the manual line. Are there any suggested options? I will keep searching the forums.

I just use a cheap manual head I bought from Lowes. I bought the hose there, too. You need a pole and possibly a skimmer plate. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/141-visual-encyclopedia-of-pool-equipment

Ahh thank you, I can't believe I skipped that part of pool school. Looking at that, I have the Pool Rover Junior. That machine (I haven't personally used it, it was left behind) looks like it will do a good job of keeping the pool clean, but I doubt that it is strong enough for the cleanup that is required. Thanks for the pointers. I will pick up a manual vacuum ASAP and get to work.

You need to manually remove as much of the sludge as possible. It won't all get picked up and sucked into the filter, and anything that stays on the bottom can harbor algae and create poor circulation zones.

This, however,...

that the muriatic acid is attacking the solids that may be in the bottom of the pool instead of effecting the pH.

is not the reason to vacuum.

You need to manually remove as much of the sludge as possible. It won't all get picked up and sucked into the filter, and anything that stays on the bottom can harbor algae and create poor circulation zones.

This, however,...

is not the reason to vacuum.

Ok, thank you for that. His theory sounded plausible, but I wanted to run it past this community first. My plan was to work on the pH throughout the week (since I only have a few daylight hours after work to work on the pool after work during the week). And then tackle the SLAM, vacuum, and scrubbing during the weekend when I can devote a full day to it. But after hearing my friends suggestion it sounded like I need to get the sludge out of the bottom before I continue working on the pH. I will continue trying to correct the pH, that way maybe I can jump straight into SLAM, vacuum, and scrubbing first thing this weekend.

I don't remember ever seeing about issues with adjusting ph when there is gunk in the pool.

Are you sure your test is working right? What are you using to test your ph, how old is it? What steps do you take to run the test?

*edit* wow 100 people posted in the time it took me to type that on my phone! Lol

I too have the vacuum head from lowes, its a triangle shape. My hose is from Walmart. :) oh, and one of my new favorites is my leaf rake skimmer attachment! I love that thing. Can't believe I went for so long with just a regular skimmer to get leaves out!

I am using the chlorine, borate, pH block that comes with the TF100 test kit. The kit is right at one week old. I'm only using the pH side for now because I know my chlorine is zero, and it won't change until I start SLAMing. Here's what I do :

Rinse the block (with the pool water).
Hold my finger over the hole and put the block 6 inches or so under the water then release and recap it. (I know this isn't in the instructions, but I do this to keep from getting particulates in the sample that are floating on the surface.) I have also done this with taking the sample from the surface with the same result.
Make sure the water level comes to the thin black line at the top of the block.
Wipe the tip of the red bottle (don't remember the chemical, but its the red bottle in the kit)
Add 5 drops to the sample.
Place the "lid" on it, turn it upside down, then upright
Hold it in front of white paper and compare the color.

I have also used some test strips that were left behind (they test pH, FC, CC, and CH). That test is reading 8.4

The pH could be so high because of the large amount of algae in the pool and the time of day that you're testing. Have you been testing at night/evening? With a lot of algae, like a stagnant pond, during the day algae gobbles up carbon dioxide driving the pH up. At night they are more dormant and the pH drops back down. I'd test the water pH once in the morning to see if it's different.

I could be wrong on the carbon dioxide/pH interplay. My chemistry is a little rusty, but regardless pH at morning and night with a heavy algae load would be interesting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Woohoo! After 112 oz of muriatic acid, I have finally gotten the pH down to 7.5 (and TA down to 30). I'm gonna continue working on it. I think I read somewhere on here that you should drop the pH down to 7.2 prior to SLAMing since the chlorine will raise the pH a little. Do I need to have the TA right (60 - 80 for a pool with SWG) prior to SLAMing? If all goes well, I will start SLAMing on Sunday (my next full day off). Thanks to everyone, you have gotten me so far (still got a little ways to go).

How are you doing with the pool? Just checking in... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.