Pour a slab for pump, doesn't look good...

Apr 9, 2013
Did I mix this too dry? It doesn't look like I think it should. I've never done concrete before, did I mess this up? It's about an hour old.

syqysegu.jpg

There is a whole series of steps to follow when finishing concrete. After the pour, you need to screed it off. This can sometimes be as many as 3 -5 passes. This process is done with a screed board (length of 2x4) and done by working it back and forth in top of the forms to level off the concrete. It also starts to work the gravel down into the mix so it does not show on the surface. After that a method called floating is used. This is done to further refine the surface and bring more of the cream up to the surface. After that a finish trowel can be used to get a good looking surface. The timing of these steps is important and varies with the air temp and the amount of water in the mix.

The concrete guys around here call it "cream" that is troweled to the top to give you a good finish.......that "cream" will rise to the top when it's troweled at the right time.

Nevertheless, you did just fine for an equipment pad.

If it drives you crazy, there are some products you can buy that set up in 10-15 minutes and you can apply them with a putty knife for a smooth finish. You would likely have to paint it, then if you get OCD like I do sometimes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.