Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pour a slab for pump, doesn't look good...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pour a slab for pump, doesn't look good...

Did I mix this too dry? It doesn't look like I think it should. I've never done concrete before, did I mess this up? It's about an hour old.

24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

western NY

Re: Pour a slab for pump, doesn't look good...

There is a whole series of steps to follow when finishing concrete. After the pour, you need to screed it off. This can sometimes be as many as 3 -5 passes. This process is done with a screed board (length of 2x4) and done by working it back and forth in top of the forms to level off the concrete. It also starts to work the gravel down into the mix so it does not show on the surface. After that a method called floating is used. This is done to further refine the surface and bring more of the cream up to the surface. After that a finish trowel can be used to get a good looking surface. The timing of these steps is important and varies with the air temp and the amount of water in the mix.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mexico, MO

Agree with Danpik. However, for an equipment pad, it should be ok.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

+1 for what Charlie_R said. Your concrete isn't perfect, but it will be just fine for an equipment pad.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

What they said, once you get it covered with equipment and plumbing I doubt you will notice the flaws.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

The concrete guys around here call it "cream" that is troweled to the top to give you a good finish.......that "cream" will rise to the top when it's troweled at the right time.

Nevertheless, you did just fine for an equipment pad.

If it drives you crazy, there are some products you can buy that set up in 10-15 minutes and you can apply them with a putty knife for a smooth finish. You would likely have to paint it, then if you get OCD like I do sometimes.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School