Have you ever had this happen after a winter?

Judge

Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2012
Hey everyone,

As the snow and ice is melting off my pool, I discovered this.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Do you think my liner will be ruined?

Thanks

Not being well versed with IG vinyl pools, my first guess would be that you will need to partially drain your pool to fix it. A quick search of the forums may yield several other posts/threads dealing with the same issue. Hopefully, you liner and track are ok.

Is the dark blue the liner or a cover? I'm not exactly sure what I am seeing, because it looks like a liner installed on top of another liner. If the dark blue was a cover how was it attached to the pool?

Hey zea3

The dark blue cover is the winter cover that is clipped into the tracking (the white along the top). The liner is also connected to the tracking. The tracking is held to the galvanized wall with self tapping screws. What has happened is over the winter the self tapping screws have snapped off leaving the tracking, liner and winter cover hanging.

Hope this helps you understand the picture better.

I would get the water pumped off the top of the cover as soon as possible. depends on the age of the liner. You may be able to use a hair dryer to warm the liner so you can put liner back in liner track.

Agreed. If the screw head snapped, you'll probably need to drill new holes through the track and into the header and get new screws. If the track is bent you may need to replace that also.
Doubt its totally ruined though. Also do the liner repair on a warm day.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I think that much weight of ice and water would've sunk the Titanic. How unusual is it for a cover and a liner to be clipped into the same track folks? Especially on an in ground pool?

That's actually the first time I've seen it. many moons ago while I was still able to work in construction trades, My boss had us putting in a vinyl IG at his house. He opted for the clip-in lining, and the auto cover. We had to locate the winter tie-downs within 1" of optimal. First winter heavy snow and ice tore the cover. What a mess!

I've since helped with other IG vinyls, and have never seen liner and cover in the same track. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Present thread as an example.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What I see is an automatic cover that didn't have a pump on it and when the ice and snow melted it ripped the cover out of the track. Don't drain the pool. The water helps support the cover to keep it from pulling out of the track. Get a pump and pump the water off the cover. Look the situation over and I think you will find the track ruined. Not sure what you will have to do regarding the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.