Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Have you ever had this happen after a winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Have you ever had this happen after a winter?

Hey everyone,

As the snow and ice is melting off my pool, I discovered this.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Do you think my liner will be ruined?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Have you ever had this happen after a winter?

Not being well versed with IG vinyl pools, my first guess would be that you will need to partially drain your pool to fix it. A quick search of the forums may yield several other posts/threads dealing with the same issue. Hopefully, you liner and track are ok.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the dark blue the liner or a cover? I'm not exactly sure what I am seeing, because it looks like a liner installed on top of another liner. If the dark blue was a cover how was it attached to the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey zea3

The dark blue cover is the winter cover that is clipped into the tracking (the white along the top). The liner is also connected to the tracking. The tracking is held to the galvanized wall with self tapping screws. What has happened is over the winter the self tapping screws have snapped off leaving the tracking, liner and winter cover hanging.

Hope this helps you understand the picture better.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I would get the water pumped off the top of the cover as soon as possible. depends on the age of the liner. You may be able to use a hair dryer to warm the liner so you can put liner back in liner track.

6. Back To Top    #6

So the track is off the wall?

40x20 Vinyl Inground (27,000 gal). SWG with Pentair 48 DE Filter.
    Also have a broken Polaris pump with no polaris and a broken AquaCal Heat Pump...inherited from last owner.

7. Back To Top    #7

It would appear so, That is part of why I suggested a partial drain.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Agreed. If the screw head snapped, you'll probably need to drill new holes through the track and into the header and get new screws. If the track is bent you may need to replace that also.
    Doubt its totally ruined though. Also do the liner repair on a warm day.

40x20 Vinyl Inground (27,000 gal). SWG with Pentair 48 DE Filter.
    Also have a broken Polaris pump with no polaris and a broken AquaCal Heat Pump...inherited from last owner.

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that much weight of ice and water would've sunk the Titanic. How unusual is it for a cover and a liner to be clipped into the same track folks? Especially on an in ground pool?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

That's actually the first time I've seen it. many moons ago while I was still able to work in construction trades, My boss had us putting in a vinyl IG at his house. He opted for the clip-in lining, and the auto cover. We had to locate the winter tie-downs within 1" of optimal. First winter heavy snow and ice tore the cover. What a mess!

I've since helped with other IG vinyls, and have never seen liner and cover in the same track. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Present thread as an example.

11. Back To Top    #11

What I see is an automatic cover that didn't have a pump on it and when the ice and snow melted it ripped the cover out of the track. Don't drain the pool. The water helps support the cover to keep it from pulling out of the track. Get a pump and pump the water off the cover. Look the situation over and I think you will find the track ruined. Not sure what you will have to do regarding the liner.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.