Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with identification

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with identification

I have a brown powder type substance gathering in the seams and corner of the pool. The pool is in total sunlight with very little shade anywhere. The pool will look clean but when I brush it I can see this stuff cloud up the water. Therefore I started to SLAM. My CYA was low so I kept it low to SLAM. started this last weekend and kept FC levels 14 ppm or higher until 3 requirements were met (which only took 1 day) current test results are FC 10, CYA 30 (kept low for SLAM), pH 7.6, TA 70, CC 0. Water is crystal clear except the stuff seen in the picture. So the question, what is it? I don't think it's pollen because it was there before the pollen appeared this year. It doesn't feel like sand and disappears when brushed. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with identification

It's the evil mystery stuff. I have it too. Clear water, fc has never gone below the minimum for my FC (hasn't even come close) and it settles in the seams and all the lovely little divots I have in the bottom of my pool.

Hate it.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

How long does it take yours to reappear after vacuuming?
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

This looks like regular dirt and dead algae. How often do you vacuum the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

And is the bottom slippery or is it to cold to get in and find out?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I have noticed that in the past couple of years, airborn dust is getting worse. Of course, I live in a farming community, and that is a contributing factor.

I can vacuum, clean my filters, then let the pool settle with the pump running, and I see a noticeable accumulation in the cracks and crevices. It's not much, just thin little strips, most likely from what stirred up while vacuuming. In one week's time the amount is back to my "vacuum trigger level". I can keep it at bay with daily brushing during that week so the filter has a chance to work.

Unless your filter is getting a green tint to it, it's just dust.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

The bottom in not slippery. I use to vacuum about ince or twice a week or as needed. With this stuff it reappears after about 2 days

8. Back To Top    #8

You may want to check your sand for channeling or try adding a cup or two of DE to the filter to see if it picks up more of this fine debris. I think this is just very fine dirt that falls to the bottom when it has not been caught by the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank. Might try adding some DE