Add salt when opening, or wait?

Aug 14, 2013
Fayetteville, NY
Just opened the pool a few hours ago. AutoPilot says to add 350lb of salt. Is that accurate, or after a few days of running the pump will things get stirred up enough where a more accurate reading may be vastly different?

Should I go get salt tomorrow and dump it, or wait?

Second season with a pool...so this is my first opening after a NY winter.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Get that water balanced and sparkling before you fire off the SWG. It won't be able to generate enough fast enough to get the FC up to the minimum all by itself and that weak period could be enough to let algae get a toehold. By the time that's all done, you'll know if you need more salt or not. And if you do, make it a Diamond Day. Throw the salt in the pool and let the kids play with it.

Starting our 7th year with a SWG. In WNY so I have to assume your water temp is close to ours (I won't open pool until two weeks before Memorial day)

Your SWG is most likely unable to do anything with the water temp. So follow Richard's advice and get your chemistry in spec with normal chemicals (BBB). Leave the SWG off until water temps are solid above 60*

Personally, I would throw in about 200# of salt as you will be adding it later, so just to get it closer.

Good luck and let's hope for a nice hot summer!

I got the independant salt test and it came out within 100ppm of the pool pilot display. I threw in salt on day two. It doesn't really matter, it won't affect your SLAM process from what I've read. My water temp is 56 but I'm running the SWG at 50% during the SLAM just to help, on top of the bleach. I work full time, so anything to keep the chlorine up while I'm gone is good for me. I do turn it off (0%) for the overnight loss test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.