Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add salt when opening, or wait?

1. Back To Top    #1

Add salt when opening, or wait?

Just opened the pool a few hours ago. AutoPilot says to add 350lb of salt. Is that accurate, or after a few days of running the pump will things get stirred up enough where a more accurate reading may be vastly different?

Should I go get salt tomorrow and dump it, or wait?

Second season with a pool...so this is my first opening after a NY winter.

Thanks.

Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add salt when opening, or wait?

I would test the salt level independently.

And certainly give it a day to mix.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Give the AutoPilot 24 hours to zero in on the salt level. It averages results over the last 24 hours to get a more accurate number. It's initial guess can sometimes be off a fair bit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you guys.

Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

Get that water balanced and sparkling before you fire off the SWG. It won't be able to generate enough fast enough to get the FC up to the minimum all by itself and that weak period could be enough to let algae get a toehold. By the time that's all done, you'll know if you need more salt or not. And if you do, make it a Diamond Day. Throw the salt in the pool and let the kids play with it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Starting our 7th year with a SWG. In WNY so I have to assume your water temp is close to ours (I won't open pool until two weeks before Memorial day)

Your SWG is most likely unable to do anything with the water temp. So follow Richard's advice and get your chemistry in spec with normal chemicals (BBB). Leave the SWG off until water temps are solid above 60*

Personally, I would throw in about 200# of salt as you will be adding it later, so just to get it closer.

Good luck and let's hope for a nice hot summer!
    30,000 gallon vinyl / Starite pump, Sys 2 cartridge, Max-E-Therm 333k heater / Bioguard SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I got the independant salt test and it came out within 100ppm of the pool pilot display. I threw in salt on day two. It doesn't really matter, it won't affect your SLAM process from what I've read. My water temp is 56 but I'm running the SWG at 50% during the SLAM just to help, on top of the bleach. I work full time, so anything to keep the chlorine up while I'm gone is good for me. I do turn it off (0%) for the overnight loss test.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool