The Big Drain..... and Refill

Sep 1, 2013
Terre Haute, IN
Opened my pool for the first time after buying my house with pool late last year.

I was very disappointed today when I did the CYA and the water was only halfway to the 100 mark and I already couldn't see the dot.
I finally had to dilute the sample to 1 part pool water/ 3 parts tap water and got a result of 70ppm. (So 280ppm CYA). :(:(

This is the result of very heavy puck usage.

so after a minor come-apart I lined the pump up to the main drain and pumped out about 2.5 feet.
I'm afraid to pump out more and have to buy a new liner.
Pool math says I need to change 82% of the water.
This is going to take forever only changing a few feet at a time with a hose.
Yesterday it took almost 15 hours to add 1.5 ft.

Just wanted to let you all know what's going on....
Photobucket doesn't seem to be working properly so I can't share the picture I took

And at least you know why you shouldn't use pucks exclusively! Get it fixed now so you can enjoy the summer.

POP... Pool Owner Patience!

Today's test still with 1 part pool water/3 parts tap water gave me about 200 ppm CYA.

Pumping water out right now.
Took about 17 hours overnight to replace what I pump out yesterday with the hose.

Hope im doing the test properly.
Waist height with the sun at my back.

It's a pain in the backside, yes.

Anyone who has been through the battle will tell you the results are worth the time and expense.

Following the advice on this forum will give you the cleanest best looking pool in your neighborhood, barring only those others that use these same methods.

Keep up the good work! You'll get there soon.

I did the same process around January and my water has been so clear. Before the drain, the water tasted salty and had a strong chlorine smell. Now the water is a joy to go in and taste like Fiji water now. lol. I loving Trouble Free Pool ! Water temp hit 80 last Thursday with the solar running. My skin doesn't seem to dry out as much now either.

#HatePucks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having some trouble with the FAS DPD test.

I added 6 gallons of 10% to my pool which is enough to bring it to 18-19 ppm chlorine
then waited 30 minutes for water to circulate
the OTO test indicates over 5ppm (expected)
While completing FAS DPD I added one heaping scoop of powder to 10ml water, then count drops of r-0871 I only get 5 drops when It turns clear (X 0.5 = 2.5 ppm FC)

what am I missing?

Hard to say. Your procedures are correct and your calculations are correct. It is unlikely (but possible) that continuing algae could consume THAT much FC that fast.

What does your water look like?

Did you perform the CC's test? What result?

Hard to get a decent picture with the sun at it's late angle but the water looks great.

I just now now completed the test again after an hour of circulation and got 8 drops before it turned clear (so 4ppm)
then only 1 drop to turn it back to clear for CC test.

Maybe I need to give it more time for circulation to get all the chlorine mixed in?

With that L shaped pool, you may need to circulate for an hour or so before retesting, providing you have at least a skimmer or main drain operating in the deep end, with a return.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have the valving for it, try just pulling from the main drain for an hour after dosing.

With that L shaped pool, you may need to circulate for an hour or so before retesting, providing you have at least a skimmer or main drain operating in the deep end, with a return.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have the valving for it, try just pulling from the main drain for an hour after dosing.

ok I will try to give more time for it to get mixed in.
I had the skimmers and the main drain both going as there is a ton of tree Garbage that flew in today.

Well...
My pool claimed its first iPhone.
I know better than to keep it in my pocket. Sheesh.

FC is sitting down around 3ppm (OTO and fas dpd) after 6 gallons of 10% with almost 2 hours to circulate.
I added 2 more gallons which is close enough to the 7.5 that pool math called for to achieve 24 ppm slam.

Is is it possible that my pool ate up all that chlorine already with almost sparkling water?

It is possible. If you can't read the date on a quarter in your deep end, it's not quite sparkly. Just kidding, but you get the point.

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. Keep hammering at it, and very soon you will have your slam level.

I cannot imagine a pool that clear consuming the amount of FC that yours has.

Secondly, circulating for 30 minutes should be plenty of time.

The last thing I can think of is the FC you purchased is old and does not have the strength that the bottle says.

Short of that, I am lost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.