air in the pipes ??

cnatra

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2014
Houston TX
so over the last 36hrs I heated up the pool & the spa (in anticipation of a party today) & had the main pump running almost the entire time

the main pump was at 2500-3000rpm , usually on the low side of that range

I also had the heater running for probably at least 16hrs

so after all the kiddos had left & turned the spa off & returned the pump to "pool" mode to just filter for a couple hours
when I did this I noticed some air bubbles coming out of the return lines & some air "cavitation" noise from the pump so
I turned everything off & checked the skimmer baskets & main pump basket

there was nothing too unusual except one of the skimmers was not seated al the way down & a toy was blocking most of the flow
I removed the tow reseated the basket & cleaned all 3 baskets & fired the pump back up & purged air at the the top of the filter

It never really eliminated all of the air & I kept getting surges of air through the system so after messing with the pump valves for the 2 skimmers & main pool drain
I think I've determined that one (A)skimmer is generating a significantly greater amount of suction than the other (B)skimmer & even when I shut skimmer A off & reduce
the flow from the main drain skimmer B barely seems t0 generate much suction

so is this normal to have such a significant disparity between the two skimmers ? could skimmer B be clogged ? is there a design flaw ?

could there some toy or other mystery time that got past the skimmer baskets clogging a pipe ?

do I need to call the pool builder ? am I overreacting ???

(we still owe PB the last 10% + a little more $$ because of post build landscaping issues with the neighbors & problems with his his contractor etc. , it's been frustrating trying to wrap this up ;
I hate to open a can of worms if we're knee-jerking about this)

:confused:

so is this normal to have such a significant disparity between the two skimmers ? could skimmer B be clogged ? is there a design flaw ?
It depends. If one skimmer has a lot more pipe and/or fittings it could have much more head loss. But what is the filter pressure for each skimmer and the main drain solo and all three on?

It depends. If one skimmer has a lot more pipe and/or fittings it could have much more head loss. But what is the filter pressure for each skimmer and the main drain solo and all three on?

I know at start up with all 3 returns it was just under 20psi at around 2800rpm

I should have time to check each return tomorrow .....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.