New SWG Pool start up in progress

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
Well my new Fiberglass pool is up and running. Yesterday the pool installer started the SWG and pump. The salt had already been added during fill up of the pool.
The SWG stayed at 2800PPM all day. Went o bed at midnite and it was 2900PPM
Pool installer shows up this morning to remove forms, cleanup etc, vacs pool and give me a minor lesson on cleaning filter etc. After re-starting pump from cleaning filter, the salt level has stayed around 3800PPM. Pump has been running 24 hours. Needless to say these guys are just installers, not maintainers.
So the water was looking a bit cloudy from several days ago during fill up.
So I tested the water for the first time and then took it to Leslie's to compare my results.
My tests
FC 0
Total C 0
Salt 3800PPM
CH 180
CYA 0
TA 120
PH 8

Lesilie's tests
FC 0
Total C 0
Salt 3500
CH 175
CYA 0
TA 120
PH 8

So they recommended 1/4lb of dry acid, wait 4hrs, 4 lbs of calcium hardness wait 4hrs, 4 lbs of conditioner to raise the CYA wait 24 hrs, 1 lb chlorine

Now the pool installer did not add any chlorine at start up when the salt was put. Am I on the right track.
Thanks, Richard

A newly started SWG may not be able to get your FC up. It is recommended that you dose your pool with bleach to bring it up to target level while your CYA is dissolving.

Muriatic acid will bring your pH down, use PoolMath to know how much.

Check their recommended levels of everything before you dose. Things like acid for pH control are going to be a constant for you, so no need to do anything with the TA. It will come down on it's own with a SWG. You will probably have to bump it up every once in a while.

Yes.

First thing that needs to be addressed is the FC and CYA.

Get some bleach into the water, and hang a few socks of CYA around your pool. Dose your FC according to your target CYA.

As noted above, Acid to bring your pH to 7.4 - 7.6. You could bring it down just a bit further, but no lower than 7.2, knowing it will slowly rise due to the SWG.

Thanks, that what i was thinking. i used the pool math and it said to add almost 4oz of diclor to bring my FC to 2PPM. I did that last nite when i got home.
It says to reach a CYA of 80 to pu 75oz by weight vol. So i probably should start with less and work my way up...correct?.
THis alll based on 7000 gallons.

Yep, it is best to raise CYA in two or three steps, waiting for it to dissolve and then measuring the level in-between. CYA is easy to raise, but difficult to lower, so you want to kind of sneak up on the right level rather than risking going over.

If you really want to "sneak up on it" with your CYA, dichlor and trichlor will work. They have known values of what they add to your pool. Be careful, there are some out there that also contain copper. Read the labels.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm You are right on top of it today, JL!

Granular stabilizer/cyanuric acid is the best choice in almost all cases, though some people prefer to use dichlor. Stabilizer/cyanuric acid is mostly only sold by pool stores and pool departments in big box stores.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming the water looks good, you can probably turn down the percentage setting a little, and more as the CYA level builds up. As a general rule, if the FC level is well above the target level for your CYA level then you can turn down the percentage, while if the FC level is below the target you turn up the percentage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.