Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New SWG Pool start up in progress

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG Pool start up in progress

Well my new Fiberglass pool is up and running. Yesterday the pool installer started the SWG and pump. The salt had already been added during fill up of the pool.
    The SWG stayed at 2800PPM all day. Went o bed at midnite and it was 2900PPM
    Pool installer shows up this morning to remove forms, cleanup etc, vacs pool and give me a minor lesson on cleaning filter etc. After re-starting pump from cleaning filter, the salt level has stayed around 3800PPM. Pump has been running 24 hours. Needless to say these guys are just installers, not maintainers.
    So the water was looking a bit cloudy from several days ago during fill up.
    So I tested the water for the first time and then took it to Leslie's to compare my results.
    My tests
    FC 0
    Total C 0
    Salt 3800PPM
    CH 180
    CYA 0
    TA 120
    PH 8

Lesilie's tests
    FC 0
    Total C 0
    Salt 3500
    CH 175
    CYA 0
    TA 120
    PH 8

So they recommended 1/4lb of dry acid, wait 4hrs, 4 lbs of calcium hardness wait 4hrs, 4 lbs of conditioner to raise the CYA wait 24 hrs, 1 lb chlorine

Now the pool installer did not add any chlorine at start up when the salt was put. Am I on the right track.
    Thanks, Richard
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG Pool start up in progress

A newly started SWG may not be able to get your FC up. It is recommended that you dose your pool with bleach to bring it up to target level while your CYA is dissolving.

Muriatic acid will bring your pH down, use PoolMath to know how much.

Check their recommended levels of everything before you dose. Things like acid for pH control are going to be a constant for you, so no need to do anything with the TA. It will come down on it's own with a SWG. You will probably have to bump it up every once in a while.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

So should I leave the ch alone for now and just concentrate on the rest

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes.

First thing that needs to be addressed is the FC and CYA.

Get some bleach into the water, and hang a few socks of CYA around your pool. Dose your FC according to your target CYA.

As noted above, Acid to bring your pH to 7.4 - 7.6. You could bring it down just a bit further, but no lower than 7.2, knowing it will slowly rise due to the SWG.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, that what i was thinking. i used the pool math and it said to add almost 4oz of diclor to bring my FC to 2PPM. I did that last nite when i got home.
    It says to reach a CYA of 80 to pu 75oz by weight vol. So i probably should start with less and work my way up...correct?.
    THis alll based on 7000 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, it is best to raise CYA in two or three steps, waiting for it to dissolve and then measuring the level in-between. CYA is easy to raise, but difficult to lower, so you want to kind of sneak up on the right level rather than risking going over.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

If you really want to "sneak up on it" with your CYA, dichlor and trichlor will work. They have known values of what they add to your pool. Be careful, there are some out there that also contain copper. Read the labels.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm You are right on top of it today, JL!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I am having a difficult time reading the colors on the test kits for comparison. Too close to tell sometime.

9. Back To Top    #9

So on a fg pool whts best to use for raising cya

10. Back To Top    #10

Granular stabilizer/cyanuric acid is the best choice in almost all cases, though some people prefer to use dichlor. Stabilizer/cyanuric acid is mostly only sold by pool stores and pool departments in big box stores.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok on the granular. Thats what I got. Ill have to test again before adding. I am at kiddos soccer game

12. Back To Top    #12

New test results are
    FC was above 3. not sure how much. My SWG is also set at 100% desired output
    TA 175
    PH 8.2
    The pump has been running all nite since I dosed with diclor.
    SO I guess it is safe to say I can go ahead and start the stabilizer dosing?

13. Back To Top    #13

Sure, you can start adding stabilizer.

You also need to work on getting your PH down.

14. Back To Top    #14

I started with 1 lb of stabilizer.
    Should I leave my SWG adjustment at 100% for now?

15. Back To Top    #15

Assuming the water looks good, you can probably turn down the percentage setting a little, and more as the CYA level builds up. As a general rule, if the FC level is well above the target level for your CYA level then you can turn down the percentage, while if the FC level is below the target you turn up the percentage.

16. Back To Top    #16

It not crystal clear but I can see the bottom, barely.

17. Back To Top    #17

Then I would keep the percentage at 100% for now, just to make sure you get everything that might have been in the water.

18. Back To Top    #18

After 2 1/2 hour I retested.
    FC still above 3
    TA 140-150
    PH 7.6-7.8
    I dont have the ability to test for CYA with my kit...It was provided with the new pool

19. Back To Top    #19

You will need a good test kit to properly maintain your pool.

Check out Pool School for the comparison, then order one.

20. Back To Top    #20

Yep. That I do...all over it Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast