Which cleaner should I get?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
My wife and I are starting to build out plans for a new house and pool. I'm getting a list together of all the equipment I'm going to need. We have a pool currently with a Polaris 380, and it's the only cleaner I've ever owned. It does an ok job, but it's constantly getting tangled, breaking, and generally seems to work sub-optimally.

Two questions:
1. Should I definitely go with a pressure-side cleaner? Suction-side seems cheaper, but they also seem like they might (ahem) suck. :rolleyes:

2. Any recommendations on which one to buy?

I should mention that I'm looking for the best performance for the price, not necessarily the Rolls Royce of the pool cleaner world. I'm willing to spend more than what the 380 costs, but I don't really want to spend $2k.

The aftermath after the 2-3 days with the MX8 cleaner.

IMG_0742_zps9c89167c.jpg

We had a fiberglass pool and bought a Great White suction side cleaner. It was cheap and it worked great, traveled all over the bottom and walls. Of course everything gets sucked into the filter, this one was sand so just had to backwash every week.

Have a Polaris 280 with this pool. It picks up debris well into the bag, keeping that out of the filter, just stirs up dust for the filter to pick up as the pool circulates. I hate the little jet pack module that picks it up, it runs at least twice as long as it needs to and will go around in circles sometimes tangling the hose into a mess. The hose is not very flexible in cooler weather which affects its travel and increases the tangling.

I'd like a robot with remote control for dust and small debris but feel like the Polaris would still be necessary when bigger things get in the pool like leaves, twigs, etc.

I guess in summary the Great White with an inline trap to catch the larger debris before it goes into the filter might be the best compromise. It sure worked flawlessly for us.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! On that MX-8. And I thought I had dust.

Yeah a pretty bad dust storm I am surrounded by new developments with a lot of dry dirt.

Just take them out and wash them clean. It's a big mess but not what I imagined when building a new pool. All that dirt never crossed my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a year old and will prob need replacing soon. This has happened about 4 times in the past year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.