Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool; Newbie operator; Help with test results?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool; Newbie operator; Help with test results?

Hello, love the site been reading for awhile, but just got a login so I could ask some questions. We just put in a pool late last summer/early fall and have been in it twice before it got too cold. It's a plaster pool, between 24 and 25k gal. We went through the procedures we were told to do when it was first filled (brushing, backwashing, chemicals etc...) for a little over three months even though we couldn't swim. I just opened it about two weeks ago. It was a light green, I got it crystal clear and brought a sample to the local store and most all seems great. After doing a lot more reading and looking through Pool School, I got my TF-100 kit and ran my own tests several times (I love new toys, the SpeedStir is great) with my results all ending the same. As I was expecting (from reading here) they were different from the pool store. Some differences are significant others not so much. I assume everyone here is going to agree to follow my results. Here are all of the results, I'll ask questions after:

Day 1 8:00 pm:
    temp 67
    pH 7.6
    FC 14.5
    CC .5
    TC 15
    TA 110
    CH 130
    CYA <20

Day 2 (next morning):
    Temp 66
    pH 7.6
    FC 12.5
    CC <.5
    TC 13 approx
    TA 100
    CH 130
    CYA <20

Same sample from Day 2
    Pool store #1
    pH 7.1
    FC 6.8
    CC 1.6
    TC 8.4
    TA (w/ stabilizer correction) 42
    CH 51
    CYA 2

Pool store #2
    pH 7.7
    TC 9.6
    FC 9.6
    TA 89
    Adj. TA 69
    CH 171
    CYA 65

As you can see the results differ. I am currently using Trichlor and it's covered with a solar blanket. I realize that the TC will drop once the cover is off and the CYA is so low. The questions: What would a pool guru do? I'm concerned with hardness, Pool math says add 30lbs of CaCl2 one store says 48lbs the other says it's ok. My results say TA is ok; pool stores say add 36 or 26lbs of their stuff. From these results what should I worry about? One place said let it sit until it warms some more and the cover had been off for awhile.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Wade
    25000 IG Plaster; Jandy DE 48 sqft filter, 120 gpm; Jandy 1.5hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool; Newbie operator; Help with test results?

Welcome to TFP!

First, trust your results and ignore the pool store results. You are getting consistent values and are probably already better at testing than they are.

FC level is way too high given your low CYA level. Sunlight will take care of that.

You need to raise the CH level. CH should be raised to roughly 300.

We don't recommend using trichlor for the long run. As long as you are continuing to use trichlor you want TA a little higher, at least 120, and CYA is good where it is. If you stop using trichlor (recommended) you will want to let TA drift down and raise CYA to the 40 to 50 range.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Those pool store results are impressively different. I can hardly imagine the wrong stuff being sold to people with results that bad. Might as well just spill a Wheel of Chemicals and put in whatever it lands on.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SwimAustin View Post
    Those pool store results are impressively different. I can hardly imagine the wrong stuff being sold to people with results that bad. Might as well just spill a Wheel of Chemicals and put in whatever it lands on.
    That is truly inspirational.

WheelofFortune2.jpg

Image5.jpg

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

OMG Richard!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input. My thinking was to use the trichlor while my CYA is low and monitor my TA and pH (I have a 50# bucket of the stuff), when the CYA is closer to where it should be then switch over to bleach. Am I correct in understanding that if I use the trichlor it's going to to drive my pH down, while pushing my CYA up and if it's pushing pH down that's why I need to try to keep my TA higher. Having the the CYA lower will only make it necessary to put in more trichlor more often until CYA starts to climb, right? Would this be a good strategy or would it just be better to put in the CYA and go straight to bleach and just use the trichlor if I go on vacation?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

My vote for post of the week goes to Richard320!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

That might make post of the month! Good job Richard.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That is truly inspirational.

WheelofFortune2.jpg

Image5.jpg

This is epic! It deserves a place of honor somewhere on the forum!! (With special mention to SwimAustin for the inspiration)

*edit*

Now someone answer the poor guy's question!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't answer too soon... I'm enjoying the entertainment.

11. Back To Top    #11

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of things, aside from wasting time going to the pool store. Unless you're just doing it for entertainment.

Anyway... You can use trichlor to raise FC and CYA. It will tend to drive pH and TA down. You can use Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom of Pool Math to see what it will do. Most pucks are 8 oz. You could also use Cl-hyp to chlorinate, which will raise the CH and the FC and pretty much leave everything else alone. As long as you pay attention to how much CYA or CH you're adding, you should be okay. One way to do it is to figure out how much each bag of cal-hyp adds to your pool and figure out how many pounds total you will need, and only buy that much. Then just use that to chlorinate every day until it's all gone. Same with the trichlor. Just don't mix the two! Once they're dissolved and circulated, it doesn't matter, but keep the powders and pucks away from each other. Only add one at a time to the pool.

[Edit: Butterfly]To avoid confusion,[end edit] you might want to add each chemical separately. Personally, I'd add enough CYA to get to about 40 using the sock method and chlorinate with Cal-hypo until CH got up into the 200s somewhere and save the pucks for vacations.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    My vote for post of the week goes to Richard320!!
    +1 to that! Very creative Richard320!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for all of the help. Looks like I might actually be able to go swimming soon...