Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with brown stains.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with brown stains.

I have brown stains all the way around my pool. I first thought that because my pool is 12 years old that We might have to have it replastered, but after seeing some of the problems others are having, I decided to have the water tested for metals. I took a sample to Leslie's and sure enough the copper was at .6 and the iron was at .1. I bought the stain remover and then one hour later added the metal free. I haven't been able to see any of the stains disappear. What to do next? I've included a picture. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15x31, 16000 gallon white marble plaster, spa with spillover, deep end 6ft. 60 sq ft. PAC FAB DE Filter, Purex Whisper Flo- 2 hp high performance 2" pump. Purex minimax Thermostat Electronic - 400,000 BTU gas heater. Rainbow 320 in line chlorine feeder. Jandy RS4 with SPA side remote and in house panel. Polaris 280 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with brown stains.

Welcome to TFP!

Try holding a vitamin C tablet against one of the stained spots until it dissolves. If the stain vanishes in that area they are iron stains and can be removed with an AA treatment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Went back to Lesley's well actually it used to be Pool Warehouse before Lesley's bought them out. I ask a million questions and I now know what the problem is, Scale! So now I'll wait 24 hours, backwash and treat it for that problem. Hopefully, it will clear it up. The guy at the store told me to take a pumice stone and see if I could remove one of the spots..I did and it came right off. Yea, Doing a little happy dance! I was told also that it was a plaster problem. Now I know what it is, I can fix the problem!
    15x31, 16000 gallon white marble plaster, spa with spillover, deep end 6ft. 60 sq ft. PAC FAB DE Filter, Purex Whisper Flo- 2 hp high performance 2" pump. Purex minimax Thermostat Electronic - 400,000 BTU gas heater. Rainbow 320 in line chlorine feeder. Jandy RS4 with SPA side remote and in house panel. Polaris 280 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Those are old calcium/metal stains, and I doubt any chemical treatment would remove them effectively. Sanding with a pumice stone or with wet-or-dry sandpaper would be the best bet as you have already learned.
    Hope there aren't too many stains to deal with!

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately for me, I have it all over my pool. Looks like I need to buy a wet suit and plenty of pumice stones.. I need to get busy if I'm going to have the pool ready to open in a few weeks.