Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dumb CYA Question - i think i know the answer but want to confirm.

1. Back To Top    #1

Dumb CYA Question - i think i know the answer but want to confirm.

My CYA dropped to 0 over the winter .... i just let a sample come to room temp and get no reading.

Pool Calculator calls for 88 oz to get to 30. I bought a 4 lb canister from Walmarts .... which is 64 oz i believe but would like to confirm that.

I only put 3/4 of the jug in just in case.

Thanks!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dumb CYA Question - i think i know the answer but want to confirm.

Yep! 16 oz = 1 lb.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks .... I was 99 percent sure but didn't want to dump too much CYA in and start that whole thing
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
    My CYA dropped to 0 over the winter .... i just let a sample come to room temp and get no reading.

Pool Calculator calls for 88 oz to get to 30. I bought a 4 lb canister from Walmarts .... which is 64 oz i believe but would like to confirm that.

I only put 3/4 of the jug in just in case.

Thanks!
    I think the pool calculator is telling you to add either 84 oz in weight OR 88 oz in volume. When you say your 4 lb canister is 64 oz you are talking about weight which means you should be going by the 84 oz amount to add. I know it is a small difference in this instance but I thought I would mention the calculator tells you the amount to add in weight or in volume in case you might have overlooked it.
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cottielee View Post
    I think the pool calculator is telling you to add either 84 oz in weight OR 88 oz in volume. When you say your 4 lb canister is 64 oz you are talking about weight which means you should be going by the 84 oz amount to add. I know it is a small difference in this instance but I thought I would mention the calculator tells you the amount to add in weight or in volume in case you might have overlooked it.
    Thanks .... i did see that but i only put 3/4 of the 4 lbs in for now just so i don't get too much stabilizer in there .... i figure i will wait a week, retest and add more if needed.

Last year i started out with zero and added the amount to get to 30 and ended up between 40 and 50 so i figure maybe there was still some in the water that didn't register due to temp etc.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner