Got a lighting issue....

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
Hey folks, I have an odd issue here. I have a hayward astrolite that would trip the GFCI within a second of flipping the switch.

So after much research, i changed the gasket, let it sit out for a few days to let it dry (there was a little condensation inside the fixture).

It would still trip, i figured it was a grounding issue. So i checked inside the pool cavity where the light goes in, there was a wire coming into the cavity and was screwed onto the enclosure. I noticed that there was some rust coming from a blob of what looked like silicone. I removed the silicone since it already had hole where I assume was where the screw was (that anchored the wire to the chassis), the wire is still firmly attached to the chassis so i left it be.

Here's where im confused, for giggles, I turned on the light, it turned on just fine now.....

I touched the water, didnt feel any shock, BUT, can anyone shed some light on this, should I get some of that silicone to cover that part? I assume it was there to protect that screw from disolving over time, Im thinking on changing the screw, then replacing the sillicone, but im just wondering why the light works on now and not before....

It's a crazy world man... just crazy. I'll get some compound or underwater curing silicone to seal those plugs up.

Cheers buddy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.