TA and PH question with New Plaster

IronKneebone

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2013
Apple Valley, CA.
Hello, I bit the bullet and had my pool Re-Plastered.
It was a rough year pool-wise. First home with a pool + first pool + bad advice + horrible pool guy maintenance = Big crappy wet money pit.

I'll save the details for maybe another thread, but the bottom line is that I bought the TF Test Kit and decided to do everything that I am capable of doing myself.

So, New Plaster
1st Day 6AM
TA = 80
PH = 8.2+
CH = 100
Temp 66F

By 12noon I had
TA = 60
PH = 7.5
CH = 100
Temp 66F

Second day 6AM
TA = 60
PH = 8.2
CH = 100
Temp 66F

So here's my question, should I just keep gradually lowering PH (Muriatic Acid) and adding small amounts (1lb) of Baking Soda to raise TA until things start to level off?
I'm just concerned that I might have the TA too low, but every time I raise it, the PH also raises, and vise versa.

Thanks in advance

Before I recommend anything, did the pool builder give you any guidelines on starting up the pool? The reason I say this is because I don't want to make a statement that might cause you to void your warranty.

pH is going to continue to rise for a long time.

You will probably need to add large amounts of acid, and should not add any baking soda.

With fresh plaster the PH, TA, and CH levels will go up fairly rapidly for the first month or so and more slowly for up to a year. During the initial few weeks your main focus should be to keep the PH under control, i.e. never above 8.0. That will frequently require substantial amounts of acid added daily, though it varies from pool to pool. You don't normally want to raise TA or CH, as they will tend to go up on their own and any additions now may cause you to end up too high. Adjust TA and CH after the first four weeks have passed.

Of course, if the builder told you any different, then do what the builder said instead.

Thanks for the quick replies, The procedures pretty much follow this pdf

http://www.npconline.org/assets/documents/StartUpCard.pdf

In addition to the chemicals I added The Magenta Stuff for a sequestering agent. The part of the procedure I questioned was the TA, it seems that overnight my PH rises enough to bring the TA to 80, but when I lower the PH the TA lowers as well. I just didn't know if any baking soda was necessary at this point.
I'll keep on brushing and aciding.

I'm pretty excited I found this community and all the great folks here. Equally, I'm looking forward to having an amazing pool to enjoy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.