Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Adjusting Recommended Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Adjusting Recommended Levels

New pool owner here - 20,000 gal inground gunite with pebble sheen finish. Since construction began last fall, I have found this site to be the single most informative and helpful resource for a new pool owner, and I'm dedicated to implementing the BBB method of pool care. After opening the pool last week and checking twice daily with my tf-100 kit, I have pH, chlorine, alkalinity, and CH all looking good; I also recently added CYA via the sock/skimmer method and will retest after 10 days have passed. Pool is clear and sparkling, so I generally could not be more happy with its present condition. (Though it was a bit strange seeing an inch of snow around the pool last Weds morning, but that is par for the course this winter in New England....)

My question is this: the "recommended level" part of Pool School advises that if you have "lots of direct sunlight . . . you should expect to need adjustments to these recommendations." My pool is in direct sunlight at least twelve hours a day. There literally are no trees or other obstructions blocking direct sunlight from sunrise until the sun begins to set. My aim so far has been FC of 4 and CYA of 30 per the chlorine/CYA chart. Should I increase those levels? Any and all advice is most appreciated!
    20K gal, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 340 sqft Jandy CV-340 cartridge filter 127 g/m, 1HP Jandy two speed pump, AquaComfort heat pump 136K BTU, Hayward CL-220 inline chlorinator, Dolphin Oasis Z5, built Oct 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help Adjusting Recommended Levels

Should I increase those levels?
    No. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke!"

Observe your pool and observe your chlorine loss and don't change a thing unless you start to have issues.

Each pool is a bit different and it seems like you have found a sweet spot so I would leave it alone until you see a problem.

(You will probably decide to increase your CYA up to around 40-50 in your climate later this summer but I would leave it at 30 until your FC consumption starts to rise.)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave, will do!
    20K gal, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 340 sqft Jandy CV-340 cartridge filter 127 g/m, 1HP Jandy two speed pump, AquaComfort heat pump 136K BTU, Hayward CL-220 inline chlorinator, Dolphin Oasis Z5, built Oct 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Perhaps that should read something more like: "You may need to adjust" or similar.

I agree with Dave, just see how it goes first.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem