Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: iAqualink controlling Intelliflo VS-relay or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question iAqualink controlling Intelliflo VS-relay or not?

I'm about to upgrade my Aqualink RS ver. N with iAqualink ver. R along with a pump switch to Intelliflo VS. I've done enough research to know that this combination will work fine with no Intellicom required. My question is; do I wire the pump power to the relay (as is the case with my current single speed WhisperFlo) as Jandy recommends, or directly to the breaker panel as Pentair recommends.

I know the Aqualink will control the pump. But will it shut it down to let the valves rotate when I switch pool to/from spa if I wire it hot?

Thanks in advance!

Ron Jenson
    Houston

18k gallon pool w/spa by David Perry
    All Pentair except Aqualink and Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: iAqualink controlling Intelliflo VS-relay or not?

When controlling an IntelliFlo through a data cable (or IntelliComm II) the IntelliFlo power should be wired directly to the breaker. You only want to wire it to a relay when you are not using a data cable (which means only a single speed).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it all installed yesterday direct to power as you recommended. iAqualink (with rev. T firmware) communicates flawlessly with intelliflo vs pump. Thanks for your help.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    When controlling an IntelliFlo through a data cable (or IntelliComm II) the IntelliFlo power should be wired directly to the breaker. You only want to wire it to a relay when you are not using a data cable (which means only a single speed).
    I'm curious why you say this. The Aqualink manual says that it should be connected through a relay.
    Quote Originally Posted by manual
    Connect the two red hot wires of the pump to the two load side connections on the filter pump relay as shown in Figure 7.
    15k gallon, IG plaster pebble surface, single speed filter pump, sand filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ PB40 booster, AutoPilot Nano+ w/ RC-28 cell.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rosensama View Post
    I'm curious why you say this. The Aqualink manual says that it should be connected through a relay.
    It must be like the Hayward manual that also says to connect it to the relay, although they had an additional loose sheet as an addendum with the correct connections.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.