Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slam question

1. Back To Top    #1

Slam question

Hi guys, I started slamming my pool today as the water was In bad shape...

Here's my situation, my cya was at 0. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer in a sock that's currently dissolving. I added bleach and my fc is at 12 currently. I know I probably should have waited until my cya was up but the water was looking bad so I went ahead and started slamming. I've read it takes days for the cya to raise in the pool so what level of fc should I aim for through the slam process. Is it ok to continue shocking with a low cay level?
    30,000 gallon In-Ground vinyl, small fountain, Polaris 9300 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slam question

PoolMath http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html will help you with that, along with Chlorine CYA Chart.

What was the water temperature when you tested your CYA? If it was less that normal room temp, chances are that you had some in there, but it didn't show up. For new additions of CYA, as soon as it is dissolved, assume it is in there, again referring to PoolMath, and dose your FC accordingly.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

4 pounds of CYA in 30,000 gallons will only raise your CYA to about 16. With it that low, I would suggest a slam level of 10 ppm.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with James. The CYA is working in the water, just may not show up on the test. I would not add any more until you can test it again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok got it, I'm currently keeping it at an fc of 10. I also have a high ph of around 8.2, should I be concerned with this throughout slamming the pool or should I deal with the ph after the slam process?

6. Back To Top    #6

You should have lowered the pH before starting the SLAM. That is step 1.

If your FC gets below 10, test and adjust the pH before raising it back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Dang I should have re-read about that. I added muriatic acid the other day to lower it and thought it lowered it enough. Should I stop the slam?

8. Back To Top    #8

You are only slightly above 10, I would let it drop and adjust the pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok as long as I'm below 10 my ph reading will be accurate?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

That is correct.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Will my cya test be accurate at fc 10-12?

12. Back To Top    #12

Only the pH test is affected by high FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok. I've ran into another problem...I didn't notice my local stores do not carry taylor r-0871 reagent for my taylor 2006...I'm in the middle of slamming the pool. The only other test I have is the taylor test kit that she's reagent 1&2 with a color matching tube. What would you guys recommend I do to test?

14. Back To Top    #14

From what I understand -- granted I may be wrong -- the OTO test turns brown at around 10-12. That may be a stop-gap close enough until you get your R-0871. Order it from Dave, and he'll most likely get it shipped first thing Monday. Check with him, and see if he can do this for you.

By the way, Cpool, Where are you located? It might be a good idea to have that info in your profile.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

15. Back To Top    #15

Another victim of the K2006 running out of FAS-DPD reagent early.

I think the OTO is brown at higher FC than 10, might just be orange at that level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

My observation is that OTO does not turn brown until at least 30 ppm, or higher.

If I recall correctly, I think that it is around 50 ppm.

17. Back To Top    #17

I found it! From an earlier post of mine.

Blinding yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. I never went any higher than that, but it's been reliably reported that it eventually will turn brown if you get high enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'll have to bookmark this thread, as you know this will come up again!

19. Back To Top    #19

Also note that some reports say that OTO won't bleach out. However, I have seen OTO bleach out at around 90 to 100 ppm. It might have been poor quality OTO. Therefore, I can't say that all OTO will bleach out, but it seems that some will.

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes i am a victim of not enough reagents...i thought i could purchase the 0871 reagent locally but apparently i was incorrect. I will take the advice on how to read the oto test kit and hopefully i can finish out this slam process. When i test it with the oto it is super yellow so i guess I'm around 10-12 which is what I'm looking for so hopefully it works. Thanks again guys, really big help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast