landscaping behind pool

May 22, 2013
Fort Salonga, NY
What should I do with the landscaping behind my pool? I attached one picture from August of last summer and one picture of how it looks now after the winter.

I have a row of pine trees behid the pool. They have gotten too tall, they shed needles into the pool, the bottom of the trees are very sparse providing less privacy where you need it, are thick up high where its not needed. So I need some suggestions.

Anyone think I can salvage the pine trees? Take a few feet off the top? Will the bottom fill in?

Or remove and replace them? Leyland Cypress and Laurels have been recommended. We are facing south when looking at the trees, so all winter long it gets very little sun. During the summer the area gets partial sun. We need something that does not shed into the pool and has a shallow root system. Will grow 5-8 feet high for privacy. Will remain thick and full from ground level on up to the top and not thin out on the bottom like the pine trees have. Any suggestions?

I also need something for ground cover for the dirt behind the pool. When it rains, dirt washes between the rocks and into the pool. Would some thick ground cover help to hold the dirt? Any other tips for this problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• last summer.jpg
    last summer.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 320
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 313
Pines are ****. They will continue thinning out at the bottom. They're also brittle and will start shedding more then just needles onto your pool as they age. I have pines on one side of my house and cannot stand them, will probably end up cutting them all down and replacing. On the other hand I have a row of spruces (not sure which kind) on the other side of the yard and they're great trees, full, lush, very durable. They provide almost a fence like barrier you cant see through. So if you will be replanting, definitely look into getting spruces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.