Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 2650 Pump Strainer Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 2650 Pump Strainer Cover

My Intex 2650 Pump is making a noise. I want to take the cover off of the strainer basket to look inside but I can't get it off. I have disconnected the suction and discharge hoses. I have drained the water from the pump but I can't get the cover off. It's a clear plastic cover. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get it off without breaking it?
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 2650 Pump Strainer Cover

I have had several of those pumps and removing the cover can be a real bear. I was usually able to get mine off by having someone hold the pump so it would not move; if that failed I waited for my son to come by.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks GWC. I sure wish there was a tool that could latch onto the lid so that I could turn it.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

Use a strap wrench, even a home made one will work. Make it out of an old leather belt or rubber bungee cord.
    Google strap wrench if you are unfamiliar with the term