Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Periodic failure to prime in morning??

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Periodic failure to prime in morning??

Have no air leaks at suction side but coming home to find my pump didn't prime 8 hours ago,yikes!!Has solar heaters(helicol) and got me stumped ,I work on pumps all the time and with no air or water leaks at suction side I am thinking purely solar problem ,check valve not functioning and trying to force to roof before prime and or bad in line thermostat leaving valve open and same problem .Lucky pump hasn't burnt out but melted strainer basket .We'll anyone please jump in.
    Thanks

Just to be sure pump does not lose prime ,it has periodic failure in the morning too prime.Turned solar off yesterday at end of day,this morning water all the way to top of filter basket cover no problems priming ,However the solar was as I said off.I do have a slight leak now where the 90 degree elbow is screwed in on the discharge side of the pump(must have heated the Teflon tape) , now I will have to replumb that line.

1 hp Starite Duraglass,Hayward filter,Helicol 10 panel solar system(standard plumbing w/1 electric valve to controller and 1 check valve on return side.Barracuda G3 updated.
    Last edited by bmorril2; 04-18-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Equipment

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Periodic failure to prime in morning??

Welcome to TFP!!!

If you had no leaks in your system, then the pump would NEVER lose prime once it had it. If your filter and pump are draining when the pump is off, then you have a leak somewhere (and it could be on the pressure side and allowing air to get sucked in). This should have nothing to do with the solar.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think OP is saying leak may be coming from somewhere in the Solar Heating. If so, can you bypass your solar and see if pump will hold prime?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I am still not sure that makes sense ... technically I have an air leak in my solar too ... the vacuum release valve that is always open in my solar when my pump is not on. My filter and pump do not drain when the pump is off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!