Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Florida Pool.. hot tub usage?

1. Back To Top    #1

Florida Pool.. hot tub usage?

Hi All!

Question for the masses--- How many Florida folks on here have a spa on their pool? Do you use it often?

It is an additional 6-8K for one here, and I'm not sure we would use enough to justify the price?

Just curious on other real life usage. Thanks!

Chris
    33000L Concrete Pool, Viron P320 Pump, Viron-PH Chlorinator, Viron CL400 cartridge filter, Sunlover solar heating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Florida Pool.. hot tub usage?

I'm in central florida, i don't have a spa, but I would love one. I like using them after i get sunburn. Hurts initially getting in, but it does help
    About my pool: 15x32 IG Gunite, 16.2k gallons, SWG, Solaxx PureChlor, Cartridge filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in Pinellas County (Clearwater, FL area). I have an attached spa and use it more often than I use the pool, especially in the early Spring and up to early/mid winter. I often enjoy sitting in it with a cup of coffee before I head off to work and sometimes I relax with a beer or glass of wine late in the evening, watching the stars and just chilling out.

Heating the spa/tub can get expensive during cool periods (but not nearly as expensive as trying to warm a pool ). Rarely do I heat above 94 to 96 degrees. I just want to be comfortable, not hot. Maintaining the chemical balance is an every other day event because things change rapidly and can get out of hand quickly. When I'm out of town, I just turn on the keep-fill and the maintenance becomes less critical, or the same as what is required for the pool.

We used the pool a lot when the kids were growing up, but now it is just a few laps, usually every day, and we use it to cool off after any physical work that gets us overheated. That is why I say that I use the spa more than the pool (usually 2-4 days a week).
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an above ground pool and a Craigslist acquired $140 hot tub. The kids and I use the hot tub year round. Oh, I live in Orlando. Initially, I adjusted the temp down for the kids and up for me. Then, I realized 100 degrees was the perfect year round temp for all of us. The hot tub is great after it rains, the kids love it after swimming, and I love it as a way to relax. I know the look of an integrated hot tub is much nicer but a used, free standing hot tub can be had for a great price.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

We use the spa often here in Florida. Spend the extra money now if your building a pool or you will be sorry later.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not attached but have a large tiger river siberian.

we use ours every winter then i just close it down. Kids like it in the winter too...but summer is all pool....no time for tubs last thing i want is more heat in the summer so
    i don't use it.

Looks wise built in is 100% the way to go, usage wise i really like the comfort, convenience and bazillion jets of a tub and i never even notice the electric bill change with it, in the winter it is always 100% ready to go.
    1987 16k gallons IG, Marbletire Marquis, ,Pentair superflo 1hp, Hayward s244t, Chlorine (working on stenner setup)

7. Back To Top    #7

I have an attached one and mine is a hassle so far