Intex Pump Modification

Apr 17, 2014
Palm Coast FL
Hello everyone
I would like to share a photo of modification to Intex Pump...the pump died so I hooked up a EcoPlus Submersible Pump 1056 (pump can be used inline and it pumps 1083 GPH)...what do you think
By the way I have a 10 ft Intex Pool

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 217
Welcome to TFP!

Interesting set-up. Should work just fine for your pool.

I do have a question about it though: Are you still using the draw through - suction brings the water through the filter - system? There may be a way for you to use it as a pressure through.

The problem I have with a draw through is as the filter gets clogged, the pump can cavitate, which can lead to an early demise.

It makes a little noise I put a valve in between pump and filter cartridge...it didn't make a difference though
I noticed when I shut off pump and open the air release it lets out air and then the water starts flowing
It's strange when I open air release with pump running water does not flow out...

If you open the top of the filter canister, there should be a plate that your filter sits on. It can be removed, gently. Under it is the pump itself. The pump cover is held on by 5 or 6 screws. Remove them. that plastic star you now see is your impeller. you can pull it out, as it is nothing but a magnet on a shaft.

Connect the intake of your pond pump the the suction outlet of your pool. Pond pump pressure outlet then goes to what would have been the suction side of your old pump, with the pressure side from the old pump going to your pool.

Does this make any sense to you? I hope I've explained it clearly enough!

If you open the top of the filter canister, there should be a plate that your filter sits on. It can be removed, gently. Under it is the pump itself. The pump cover is held on by 5 or 6 screws. Remove them. that plastic star you now see is your impeller. you can pull it out, as it is nothing but a magnet on a shaft.

Connect the intake of your pond pump the the suction outlet of your pool. Pond pump pressure outlet then goes to what would have been the suction side of your old pump, with the pressure side from the old pump going to your pool.

Does this make any sense to you? I hope I've explained it clearly enough!

I've taken the old pump out already...removed it from bottom plate with a saw and broke it out in fact once I cut the epoxy the pump came loose...then I epoxied where the pump was and then put a plastic plate over it so its nice and neat...then I put the plate back on the bottom of filter...
I have the new pumps suction side attached to the bottom outlet on the filter and it's return (pump out)
goes to the pool...the other side is connected as usual (suction or feed goes to top outlet on filter)

The main thing is to make sure your pool water is flowing through the filter from the outside in.

Flow should be: Pool->pump->outside of filter->inside of filter->back to the pool.

Another good suggestion is to use better filters. Personally, I use Unicel. Filbur is also a good filter to use. Unicel C-4607 or Filbur FC-3710 are the same as the Intex A or C.

Yes I have Unicell filter and it works good!
As it goes right now the pump is pulling (sucking) the water thru the filter (see photo) and it goes from from the outside to inside and back to pool
I've thought it would work better to PUSH the water through...
but the setup would have the pump before the filter...
Right now the pump is after the filter (similar to how the original pump would work)
The question is what set up is more efficient...

Last edited:
The major brand manufacturers all have the filter media in a pressurized configuration. I don't know which is actually more efficient, but if the filter clogs in a suction configuration, the pump starves and can burn out. This appears to be the problem with the smaller pumps from Intex and others. Even they go to a pressurized system above 1000 gph. On the smaller pumps, the water flow is used to keep the motor cool as it is a "potted" motor, magnetically coupled to the impeller. Your pump would only cavitate, and possibly wear out your impeller and volute -- not that this would happen quickly. Google what cavitation does, even to plastic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
heres the new setup it works good
I have one problem tho the hose is leaking on the end where it goes to the pump...the hose end slips over a 3/4 coupling and it fits snug so I can't figure out why its leaking...infact the 3/4 coupling is a perfect fit its the same diameter as the filter outlet minus the rubber seal (wonder if thats the problem)
Any way the photo shows it with out the hose clamp around it...By the way the hose leaks with or without the hose clamp!!
I tried both ends of the hose...any suggestions on how to get it to stop leaking...I mean it drips about every 2 minutes.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 96
  • leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 96
Do you have a Dremel type tool? You can put a shallow groove on the outside of the fitting, and get an O-ring for it. they are available at most hardware and auto parts stores.

The outside of a 1" sch 40 PVC pipe is of similar dimensions. I use a short piece of bicycle inner tube between the hose and pipe. Gives a bit of a "soft crush" area for the clamp and hose.

Charlie...
Yes I have a dremel tool although it might be hard to get the groove straight...I have the o-ring from an old filter casing...I find PVC 3/4 inch fittings and PVC 1 inch pipe to be the right dimension for putting hose ends on...the tube idea is good one too...It got exhausting trying to stop the leak...I was thinking of using some black electrical tape so the clamp has a soft crush area for the clamp...but it was a snug fit the hose would not slip over fitting...I have to try again!!

Well I tried the groove but it has to be recessed more for the hose to slip over but I was afraid to go deeper because I may cut through the pipe...anyway I replaced the PVC pipe with a new 1" threaded male to 1" slip...the 1" threaded goes to the pump...and I put the hose over the 1" pipe added a little Teflon tape...the Teflon tape moved as I slipped the hose on but it worked...I put on the hose clamp and no leaks...so far!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.