Sand coming out of sandfilter?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
I posted a week ago about an issue I am having with dirt. I vac it, it reappears within hours. Someone said I should add DE to sandfilter as it must not be filtering the dirt out, or that I should vac to waste. Im still having the issue after vacuuming to filter. What I dont understand is that last year, when I would getd dirt like this in my pool, I would vac to filter it, and it would be gone.

So how is it that this year my sandfilter cannot filter the dirt? :confused:

Its is possible that this dirt is actually sand from my sandfilter? If so, does that mean my sandfilter is bad or how do I fix it?

I cannot see this much dirt being in the air and getting in my pool. And I cannot understand how last year my sandfilter had no issues filtering out dirt like this, but now all of the sudden, it cant do it.

also, even when I backwash, I cant get the gauge to get into the green, it stays in the lower portion of the yellow. last year it stayed in the green. I dont know if this is related to my dirt issue or not. This is my second season on this intex sandfilter.

ideas anyone?

A sand filter can leak sand if a lateral is cracked or broken. Alternatively, it can let dirt go through if it is channeled. Sand and typical pool dirt are very different. Sand tends to be gritty while common pool dirt is slimy. If it is possible for you to collect a sample of the dirt you should be able to tell the difference easily. If it is impractical to collect the dirt, try putting a skimmer sock over one of the return jets and see what collects in the sock.

The repair procedures are quite different for the two conditions.

thanks Jason. ill try and collect a sample, but looking down into it, it looks gritty. :(

its is possible overwintering cracked a lateral in my sandfilter? how are the laterals repaired? being an intex filter, it may be cheaper to just buy a new one.

This sounds like dead algae. Can you post some test results?

sure, just tested this morning:

FC 3 ppm, added 20 oz of bleach, it should be 5, which is my goal. ive been losing 2 ppm every day since opening, which should be about right, since pool is in full sun all day.

CC: zero

CYA: 35 ppm tested 3 weeks ago at opening. waiting for water to get above 70 to test again for more accurate results.

TA: 80

pH: 7.8 (same as everyday)

CH: only test it about every 2 weeks since its vinyl pool. it was 190 last time, about a week ago.

water is crystal clear, just as it was when I uncovered my pool and opened it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.