Intake & Return, are USED

Apr 16, 2014
MO
Ok i thought this was going to be so easy......gggggeeeerrrrrrrr

Switched out my old PDA 8's PCB with the new IQ900RS board, hardwired the new antenna, left the old PDA antenna also installed, kicked it all back on and no issues, filter is running i mess with a couple of the aux buttons and see that Aux 1 is my patio lights, Aux 2 is the LED pool lights, Aux 3 is the color wheel for the pool lights, but I sure as heck cannot find out how to control my return valve, my slide, or deck jets......i remember that i had to assign JVAs way back when I installed the original system in 2007, so i go to assign JVA and I see that Intake & Return, are USED..... Please help the kids want the slide on!!!! lol

iAquaLink Converstion JVA Help

Topics merged. JasonLion

I tried to post this in another thread but it did not show up so I started this new one.

I just replaced my old 2007 PDA 8 PCB board with the new iQuaLink i900RS PCB Board. I hardwired the network/antenna and when i fired everything back up, I found Aux 1 controlled my patio lights, Aux 2 controlled my pool lights and aux 3 controlled my pool light color wheel, after some more tinkering i found that my deck jets were controlled by the Cleaner under Assign JVAs, so I pointed it to Aux 5 labelled it and I am good. However I still cannot find my slide or return valve JVAs...... I have am thinking they are controlled by the Intake & Return JVAs marked as used on the assign JVA page.

How can i verify this and how can I change it....can I just switch the current Return & Solar 3 prong plug, assign the solar JVA and see if it works? My other issue is I have yet to wire two new JVAs for my hydrotherapy jets in the sitting area of my pool......if memory serves I had to install some little board on the inside of of Jandy power center to help with controlling JVAs and do some JVA assignments on the original PDA 8 system.

Last night I posted this also, but it didn't show up until this AM. So one of these threads can be killed. Below is more detail on my sitch.

I tried to post this in another thread but it did not show up so I started this new one.

I just replaced my old 2007 PDA 8 PCB board with the new iQuaLink i900RS PCB Board. I hardwired the network/antenna and when i fired everything back up, I found Aux 1 controlled my patio lights, Aux 2 controlled my pool lights and aux 3 controlled my pool light color wheel, after some more tinkering i found that my deck jets were controlled by the Cleaner under Assign JVAs, so I pointed it to Aux 5 labelled it and I am good. However I still cannot find my slide or return valve JVAs...... I have am thinking they are controlled by the Intake & Return JVAs marked as used on the assign JVA page.

How can i verify this and how can I change it....can I just switch the current Return & Solar 3 prong plug, assign the solar JVA and see if it works? My other issue is I have yet to wire two new JVAs for my hydrotherapy jets in the sitting area of my pool......if memory serves I had to install some little board on the inside of of Jandy power center to help with controlling JVAs and do some JVA assignments on the original PDA 8 system. I have a pool only no spa.

If you have a pool & spa unit it will show spa as a device in the list of devices you can turn on and off. Typically it goes Filter Pump, SPA, Pool Heat, Spa Heat, etc.

If you have a pool only version it won't mention spa anywhere.

i think i just made a very $$ mistake due to some poor guidance from Zodiac Support...... please tell me I am wrong.

I had/ have a pool or spa PDA 8 that i installed back on 2007. It controlled the following:
Return JVA
Slide JVA
Deck Jets JVA
Hydrotherapy Jets JVA
120V Patio Lights
120V Pool Lights
120V Pool Color Wheel

After speaking with a Zodiac Rep he directed me to purchase the IQ900RS to upgrade my system, which I did, and now have installed it. However after some trial and error I cannot control all (4) of my JVAs, as the intake & return JVA are tied to Spa mode. If I am understand this correctly if I turn Spa on the Return JVA will close & the Intake JVA will open (depending on my toggle on the JVA.) This is not what I wanted, I want to control each of the (4) JVAs independently with Aux's.

While I could get away with controlling the Hydrotherapy Jets & the Return (as a spa) generally when I run the hydrotherapy jets I shut the return off anyway, so I could leave return as is on return, move hydrotherapy JVA wire to intake terminal on the PCB, and assign the slide to the cleaner & the deck jets to solar which both are open for assignment. I THINK!!!!!!!!!

One issue still arises and you will laugh but my kids sometimes ask for full power on the slide, that means return off and slide on, i will lose that function.......please tell me there is creative way around this....... as the 2nd tier zodiac rep just informed me that I should have purchased the IQ900A & Part Num. R0586502 (PDA COU Upgrade), or alternatively I can purchase a very $$$$CHIP????? Part Num. R0586104,, that will turn my Pool & Spa in to a Pool or Spa......

Also I am just outside St Louis MO, and I am hard pressed to find anyone with Jandy Automation Knowledge....... If you know anyone please let me know.

Sadly, I am not familiar with the part numbers, only that there are different models for one body of water (pool or spa), and two bodies of water (pool and spa).

If you set things up correctly, I believe you could use spillover spa mode for high speed on the slide. In spillover mode the intake is pool and the return is spa, so you get three of the four combinations on those two valves (pool/pool, pool/spa, and spa/spa). That should allow you to use something similar to what you described and still have all the combinations you want, though the labeling will be confusing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok did some more adjusting and this is what i have so far....

I am controlling the:
Patio Lights with Aux 1
Pool Lights with Aux 2
Pool Color Wheel with Aux 3
Slide with the Cleaner JVA (assigned to Aux4)
Deck Jets with the Solar JVA (assigned to Aux5)
Spa On turns hydrotherapy jet JVA on and return JVA off (full action at hydrotherapy, kinda cool because prior to iAqualink I would have to make to selections for the hydro jets to have full action
Spa On/Cleaner On, Hydrotherapy Jets on & Slide on (close hydro jets manually @ jets in pool for full action @ slide, this is acceptable for now, how ever I am still sideways with Zodiac)

Question,..... I have two JVAs wired together for the hydrotherapy jets, could that create any issues with the board? So when Spa is turned on (3) JVAs are moving at the same time. (2) for the hydro jets & (1) for the return, I do shut the pump down during this action.

Re: Intake & Return, are USED

is there a preferred method of have (2) JVAs activated via one selection........what are the other reasons for that setup not working out? Is there a product on the market that would control more than (4) JVAs? I was under the impression that I could control JVAs by direct wire to relays in power center???? But it has been along time since I researched it.

- - - Updated - - -

is there a preferred method of have (2) JVAs activated via one selection........what are the other reasons for that setup not working out? Is there a product on the market that would control more than (4) JVAs? I was under the impression that I could control JVAs by direct wire to relays in power center???? But it has been along time since I researched it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also do you know if the standard icon for the aux can be modified? I custom labeled my aux to say Pool Slide, i cant believe there was no slide as an preset option...... but currently i have it custom labeled but it has the arrow pointing down like the Aux's do.

Nominally you want one JVA per plug on the controller. If you hook up more than one to the same connector they can sometimes "chatter", which means that when activated one starts moving but the other one doesn't, and then it switches so the other one is moving but the first one is still, and they continue switching activity back and forth fairly quickly until they both eventually reach their destination. If your's aren't chattering then there isn't really any reason to change the setup.

Yes, you can wire up additional valves to spare relays in the controller but you need to get adapters for the valve actuators to work correctly. The standard relays are simple on/off relays, but the valves needs double throw relays. Jandy sells small adapter boards, with the correct connectors and a low voltage relay, to take care of this.

No idea on the icon question.

Do you know the name or part number for such a relay/ adaptor board?
Have you ever replace the small board on the back of a PCB? If so is it difficult?

If I understand this correctly if I put a Pool or Spa board in as a replacement to pool and spa board i can control all (4) JVAs....correct

Is that an easy switch out? Would a Jandy AquaLink Relay Splitter 5098 be better for making sure I dont get the chatter from (2) JVA on one controller.

So it would be like Aux 6 to the Splitter5098, then from the splitter to (2) 5254 AuxBoards, and then from the board to the (2)JVAs controlling my hydro jets........

IF you are not having a chatter problem now, then there is no reason to worry about chatter.

Installing the aux boards is fairly easy, mostly it is a question of keeping all the wiring neat without getting tangled up. Which is to say it is easy unless you are a stickler for neatness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.