need help with my sand filter

Jun 8, 2008
I have a new sand filter this season, which has been working great until yesterday. I noticed that the pump basket was not completely full, which happens when the pressure increases and it needs backwashed, but the pressure gauge reads pressure of only 1. I also noticed that there are some bubbles coming out of the return jet, so there is air getting in the line somehow. I backwashed and everything is still the same. Pressure of 1, flow is a little better, but not much, bubbles in the jet. Usually backwashing increases the return jet pressure in a huge way. Any suggestions? I can't figure out where air would be entering the line either - tightened the pump basket lid and checked everything, but couldn't find any problems.

Thanks!

Erin

Maybe you have a blockage somewhere...either between skimmer and pump or pump and filter? Have you vacuumed recently? My psi dropped to 5 one time (usually runs 15) and I was having to prime the pump because the basket was only half full of water.....the problem was that my kreepy krawly sucked up some leaves/goo which went passed the pump basket and was in the opening between the pump and filter. I had felt that opening and didn't feel anything and then went back and pushed in a little further and felt the goo. I dug it out, and the psi went back up and the air worked itself out of the system and is now working fine. Hopefully it is a simple fix for you like it was for me.

thanks for the idea. You know, now that you say that, I ran the auto cleaner yesterday and there were goggles and things in the pool that I tried o get all fished out before I ran it, but maybe I missed something, b/c the timing is right for that to be it!!

Off to check now,

Erin

That must have been the problem; I took apart the line from the pool to the pump and flushed it out and now it is working fine. I didn't see anything come out of the line except water, but it's working, so who cares! :lol: Thanks again for the idea!!

No problem....I remember that I was frenzied trying to figure out what had happened to drop my psi all of a sudden.....I was sooo happy when I figured it out and fixed it without needing the hubby :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.