Strong bromine smell

Apr 16, 2014
Austin
My hot tub has a very strong bromine smell. Chemical levels are all fine tested with Taylor bromine kit. Ta -80, Ph level is always high every week but I bring back down to 7.4. Bromine level was at 7. I'm not sure what is causing it. With the jets on it can make you cough. I'm debating just draining. It's used 1-2 times a week (500gal) couple bathers. It was drained 4 mo ago. I also shock with mps.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

It might be bromamines which are bromine combined with organics from your bather waste. You can try shocking with chlorine (instead of MPS) to see if that helps. If it doesn't then a drain/refill will let you start over. It could just be full of unoxidized organics -- bromine doesn't oxidize as many or as thoroughly as chlorine. The standard water change interval for your situation is (1.5/7)*2 = 0.43 bather-hours per day is (1/9) x (500) / 0.43 = 129 days or 4.3 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.