Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another water flow problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Another water flow problem

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm having a similar problem. The backwash pressure was normal the last time I checked it but now I don't have enough flow to establish a prime. It got harder and harder (over a short period of time) to establish a prime and then it was gone. I tried cleaning the impellers and had no success. I don't know if there is blockage in the pipes between pool and filter or if the pump is going. The pump sounds like its trying to work and a friend who should know engines says it sounds okay to him, so I'm flummoxed. Any ideas would be appreciated....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another water flow problem

What is your normal clean filter pressure?

What was the filter pressure when you started having issues?

Have you checked all valves to make sure they are in the proper position (open) for priming?

Any significant events that happened right before this all started?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your normal clean filter pressure?
    >> Normal, can't remember details.

What was the filter pressure when you started having issues?
    >>Same to my recollection; it happened in early winter.

Have you checked all valves to make sure they are in the proper position (open) for priming?
    >>It's an old pool the valves are in the position they have always been in for priming.

Any significant events that happened right before this all started?[/QUOTE]
    >>In addition to the priming problem, there were a lot of leaves in the fall and clogging is possible, if the skimmer basket was out of place.

4. Back To Top    #4

I should have asked this before but did you back flush the suction line?

You can do that with a hose inserted into the pipe that comes into the pump basket. Remove the skimmer basket and the pump basket. Wrap the hose with a rag and seal it in the suction pipe (pump side). Turn on the water and flush the debris backwards out of the skimmer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, we tried that in the fall and I tried it again today. the water pushes itself back out the suction pipe (pump side). I understand that you can try blowing compressed air into the system. Is that the next step?

6. Back To Top    #6

Did we ever learn any details about your setup? I am not sure if it is above ground or in ground or what type of pump and filter you have ...

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good idea!
    10,000 gallons IG, plaster, sand filter, BBB technique
    Pool built abt 1990; replastered in 2012
    Original pump; brushes replaced once

8. Back To Top    #8

The clog is just stubborn so maybe you need a drain king which you can get at the hardware store.

Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

Great idea! I didn't even know about this product. They don't have it at Lowe's but I can order from Amazon. Thanks.
    10,000 gallons IG, plaster, sand filter, BBB technique
    Pool built abt 1990; replastered in 2012
    Original pump; brushes replaced once