Liner Leaking

RussH

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Central AL
I discovered that my liner is leaking. It's under the skimmer and the previous owner had laid out a path of flat cinder blocks leading up to the skimmer area and hidden the leak. There is a patch on the liner where it is leaking and several other patches in other areas of the pool. It's dripping about 2 drips per second. I cant tell that the other patches are leaking, but this one had made a significant puddle under the blocks. The liner is probably 8-9 years old. Pictures are below. There is a fair amount of rust on the bottom ring, but it still seems sound. I dont seem to be losing a lot of water as far as depth goes, but it is a large pool. Any recommendations?

Wishing I had gotten a pool inspection before we bought the house....

Leak2.jpg

Leak1.jpg

Leak3.jpg

Russ

Maybe you could try and patch over the patch that's leaking with a bigger patch. Not sure if that would work.
If it were my pool and given the age, I would be thinking a new liner may be the route to go.
Someone else may have a better idea.

Maybe you could try and patch over the patch that's leaking with a bigger patch. Not sure if that would work.
If it were my pool and given the age, I would be thinking a new liner may be the route to go.
Someone else may have a better idea.

How do the patches work? Can you apply them underwater?

I think a new liner would be best also. What are we talking here, $2000-$3000 to get it replaced?

All that TFP water that would have to get dumped....

Russ

How do the patches work? Can you apply them underwater?

I think a new liner would be best also. What are we talking here, $2000-$3000 to get it replaced?

All that TFP water that would have to get dumped....

Russ

Yes you can apply them under water, although I've never had to patch one. Check out YouTube.
You can do the liner yourself with some help from friends if you think that's an option.
I'd shop around online for a new one if you go that route. Just make sure you don't skimp on it and get the thickest you can. At least a 25 mil liner.

They don't take long to set Russ. When I get a hole, I'd have my son help by holding me under water with his foot. When you're holding g your breath, you have a tendency to float to the surface. I'd suggest someone you trust. :mrgreen:

They don't take long to set Russ. When I get a hole, I'd have my son help by holding me under water with his foot. When you're holding g your breath, you have a tendency to float to the surface. I'd suggest someone you trust. :mrgreen:

I guess we'll try to patch it this weekend. I'll have to go to the pool store to get the patches.... The water isnt really that warm either, low 60's. This will be fun!

Russ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm more for avoiding all problems that could come with a patch... You should be able to pick up a liner pretty cheap, especially in the US, they're reasonably priced here in Australia... And just think how pretty your pool will look... There's heaps of youtube vids showing how to replace all kinds of liners..... Hope what ever solution you choose is successful... :)

I got two quotes from different places for $1300 and for $1450 installed. That's a lot but still less than what I thought it would cost. Both are 20 mil liners. One was a Merlin liner and the other was an Imperial Vinyl Works. I dont know if I will bother trying to patch or not. I may get a patch kit this weekend anyway. If the liner matches the pump on this pool, any attempt at working on it causes something to physically break (heavy corrosion).

If I replace the liner, when I refill the pool, do I need to SLAM it or just add CYA and get the FC back to the correct level for the CYA?

Russ

Well I found another leak in it. This one is at another patch and has about a two foot long damp spot along the bottom edge of the pool. We got the installers set up Saturday and they said they are working on a two week backlog, so maybe we can get this resolved soon.

We got in the pool for the first time Sunday afternoon. The water was 68°F. The water quality is really great. No smell, tastes like water, doesnt burn the eyes or nose. My wife has very sensitive skin and it didnt bother her at all which is something I was concerned about.

Having been in the pool now, the bottom is very uneven throughout the pool. The cove is more of a shelf at the edge with the liner sitting on it than an even taper. Did this likely develop over time or was this a really bad install?

One last picture with its current liner.

Russ

PoolBefore.jpg

Your water looks amazing! If you want to fix the bottom, do it since you'll be replacing the liner!

Thanks for the water compliments. So far, the water quality is the only thing that has been trouble free with the pool. After the liner, we should be in good shape as most everything has been repaired or replaced.

Russ

Good luck with the liner change! Are you going with a plain liner or a more decorative one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.