Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Aqua Logic

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Aqua Logic

Hello and thanks in advance for the help and advice I hope to get from more knowledgeable folks than I.

I have an 8 year old Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8-X295 salt water system.

The cell started showing low PPM salt and I recently replaced the original with a CompuPool Ti3 cell. My original Hayward Cell was a Turbo Cell 15.

The new cell worked fine for 3 weeks and now I get the message 'extremely low salt' and my cell is turned off. When I run the diagnostics, I show +32.2 V and 00.0 amps.

I put my old cell back in to see if the problem would follow the cell(meaning my board might be the problem), and the same voltages and no amps.

The system works fine, all relays work, flow switch, temps, timers, everything.

So, has anyone had this same problem? Is there a way to test the board? I guess the new cell could have failed but my old cell put out some current and showed low salt, but now nothing.

I did make a repair to this board with the common problem of the K1 relay solder being weak and that took care of the 'no cell power' problem I had a couple of years ago.

I can return the cell for a replacement but they are back logged of course and if that is not he problem, I will have waited for nothing.

Really appreciate help on this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Aqua Logic

Welcome to TFP!!!

Did you need to change the setting for the cell size with the new CompuPool cell? I am not sure if that older system will work with any cell size.

Is the original cell 8 years old? That would be a very good run for a cell since they usually only last 3-5 years.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the cell was original. According to the folks who sold me the cell, the Ti3 is a direct replacement for the Hayward T-15. No settings were required to be change, plug and go.

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you independently tested your salt level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That is likely to be either a bad connection to the K1 relay, or a burned out inrush current limiter, both on the circuit board inside the SWG. Take a look at nocellpower.com and see if the problem they describe a fix for is the same as what you are seeing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, took a water sample to Leslies, salt level was 3200 PPM. Thanks for the welcome by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

When I had the problem with the K1 relay, I had 'No cell power'. I made that repair and this problem presents differently. I will go and check it out though, thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by sixty2chevy2 View Post
    The new cell worked fine for 3 weeks and now I get the message 'extremely low salt' and my cell is turned off. When I run the diagnostics, I show +32.2 V and 00.0 amps..
    Sounds like a board problem to me. Not all of the Goldline solder issues show up as No Cell Power.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

okay, thanks. I thought so as well since the problem is the same with both the old cell and new.

9. Back To Top    #9

As suspected, the problem was the main board. I replaced the old board with GLX-PCB-MAIN. Subtle difference in the board but the replacement went well and the chlorine generator is working well. Thanks for the help. I ended up breaking two of the four circuit board supports that hold the display to the PCB. Trying to find 4 new ones as the old ones have gotten brittle. Any suggestions. UPDATE, I called Hayward and they are sending me 4 new spacers. Awesome.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater