I have questions concerning my OTHER pieces of pool equipment, and possible damage to them. I'm concerned about my heater, my pumps, DE Filter Cartridge, plumbing, etc. I recently did a spring clean of mustard and green algae in my colored plaster pool. I used Jack's Stuff for mustard algae and 9 gallons of liquid shock. The next morning a lot of mustard algae still existed, and my test kit indicated no chlorine in the pool. I added 5 lb of calcium hypochlorite and later in the day, 4 gallons of liquid shock. In hindsight, I'm thinking my reagent had gone bad and gave me a false zero reading, because a test with a new kit determined my CL level is now 56! But no algae, that's for sure!
My concern now is ... do I need to do something to protect my equipment, let the CL level drop on it's own, or treat the high CL, or something else?! Appreciate any advice to alleviate my concerns.