Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Big Cartridge Filter Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Big Cartridge Filter Advice

So admitting my mistake of too small of a filter I'm asking for help on what brand to buy. The 400 square foot range is what I'm looking at probably Ebay or Amazon.
    There appears to basically Pentair, Hayward and Sta-Rite.

Any advice on the quality...long term life and cartridge replacement cost?

Ex.

THX
    18 x 36' Liner ~26,000g, 1 Skimmer (Supply)- 2 & 1 1/2" pipe, 3 Returns (jets), HEAD- ?, FILTER- Hayward 12002, 230v, SWG- AUTOPILOT DIG-220, PUMP- Challenger 346204 w/ USA MOTOR (rebuilt) SF 1.25/,02, CLEANER- Polaris 280- AO Smith 3/4hp., FEATURE- Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Big Cartridge Filter Advice

I bought a C3030 from these guys a couple of months ago. They have a Pentair of roughly the same size for the same cost. I don't think the brand matters, although I have read negative reviews of the Sta-Rite System 3.

Cartridges should last for years, and to replace the set of four will be in the range of about $150-$200.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd avoid sta-rite as they get some complaints. Hayward and Pentair filters are very similar.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I'd avoid sta-rite as they get some complaints. Hayward and Pentair filters are very similar.
    Ditto
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I have purchased this 500lb. bad boy. Should I use regular sand or other sand like media? - http://www.vitroclean.com/#installations

[URL=http://s843.photobucket.com/user/scratchedup/media/L1170428_zpsc2c87b53.jpg.html]

18 x 36' Liner ~26,000g, 1 Skimmer (Supply)- 2 & 1 1/2" pipe, 3 Returns (jets), HEAD- ?, FILTER- Hayward 12002, 230v, SWG- AUTOPILOT DIG-220, PUMP- Challenger 346204 w/ USA MOTOR (rebuilt) SF 1.25/,02, CLEANER- Polaris 280- AO Smith 3/4hp., FEATURE- Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Use pool filter sand. Don't use playground sand or anything like that. It seems like the reports are mixed for the crushed glass media. Sand is less expensive and just works.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

When you say that your admitting my mistake of too small of a filter, what do you mean exactly? What happened? I see you have a 26K gallon pool and are getting a 425 sq ft. filter, why so big?

I need a new filter, I have a 42K gallon pool and was told by a pool guy that I could make do with a 320 sq ft. filter if I'm willing it to clean it more often. I'm skeptical of this claim so I'm curious as to your experience.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hound Dog Charley View Post
    I could make do with a 320 sq ft. filter if I'm willing it to clean it more often.
    That's the point. With a 425 sq-ft filter, I only need to clean mine once a year. Big plus in my mind.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Hound Dog Charley View Post
    I see you have a 26K gallon pool and are getting a 425 sq ft. filter, why so big?

I need a new filter, I have a 42K gallon pool and was told by a pool guy that I could make do with a 320 sq ft. filter if I'm willing it to clean it more often. I'm skeptical of this claim so I'm curious as to your experience.
    He actually is getting a 4.9 sq. ft. sand filter for his 26,000 gallon pool. That is an appropriate size. The MINIMUM size that he should have gotten for his pool if he got a cartridge filter would be something in the 200-300 sq. ft. range, but a 425 sq. ft. filter is better because it will not need cleaning as often.

The MINIMUM size for your pool, Hound Dog, is around 320 sq. ft., but if I was getting a filter for that large of a pool i would get something like a 520 sq. ft. cartridge - because I would not want to clean it very often. See the table under filter sizing in Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? For cartridge filters and DE filters, most people recommend going up a size or two filter from what is in that table.

10. Back To Top    #10

I will reply more in-depth tomorrow...
    trusted a "pool Florida guy" on sizing w/ no research.....seems I have also learn my pool is surrounded by debris dropping trees.

My cartridge gets FILTHY once a week....and although I kind of getting the hang of cleaning it is just a big job and difficult to get all the seeds and junk out.

Lesson learned $280 cartridge is going on my pool feature....

11. Back To Top    #11

"I will reply more in-depth tomorrow...
    trusted a "pool Florida guy" on sizing w/ no research....."

I have a lot of hobbies and can not be expert on everything...we all just don't have the time. At some point we [I] have to go on the advice others....experts in their field.

Well I thought I did this ...Poolmotorcorp- Jared.... turns out IMO to be a Flake...so sad.

I had him (Jared) repeat the words "the 1200 Hayward cartridge filter is big enough" He did and re-assured me it was.....

NOT