Best Pool Cleaner for Oak Trees

Brenna

Jan 28, 2014
Hi All,

In the process of bidding PB for a pool. Our yard has several live oak trees that - once trimmed - will shade approx 1/4 of the pool. Does anyone have any advise on the best pool cleaning system to handle the trees and acorns etc.

We researched:
auto pool cover - dropped due to having to clean the cover before retracting and cost
X-treme clean in floor cleaner - worried that it won't be effective with acorns (they claim it will handle up to 3/4"), the cost to run and the cost to install
The Pool Cleaner - dropped as the manufacturer said it won't handle acorns
Zodiac G3 - both neighbors (both have oaks as well) have and swear by it. I think it looks like a sea monster.

Any thoughts? Any other systems or products that I should consider?

If you decide to get a suction side cleaner, you probably want one of these too:
Hayward W530 Large Capacity Leaf Canister
That way the junk isn't going into your pump basket.

Pressure side cleaners seem to be most effective at large junk, but the Zodiac does say large stuff such as limbs and pebbles on their site.

Chainsaw.

Okay, I'm kidding, but for the last couple weeks the live oaks were really a pain. We were emptying skimmers multiple times per day. And I had to clean the pump basket every other day. However, our Polaris 380 (a pressure side cleaner) did just find keeping the bottom clean. It picks up acorns, small sticks, my swim goggles, etc. I can't think of anything it has failed to pick up.

32 x 16 is a fairly large pool. I would consider a robot in the $1000 range to do a good job.

Do not plan on ANY cleaner being able to pick up a really large volume of solid material......there is not enough capacity in the bag. If your solid material is moderate, you'll have good luck. If you get as much as I do, you'll need a very sturdy leaf net.

Chainsaw.QUOTE]

Ha! I agree til I saw the fines from the city. Need a permit to even trim (application goes in Monday) and, if we manage to get approval to remove any - I have 12 that are growing so close together they are weakening each other - I have to plant 4 oaks for every one removed. It's stupid crazy.

Will look into the Polaris 360. Thanks for the input.

Alabama here. Have tons of large trees on city property right behind my pool. My tree guy would cut them down for $200 per tree. Thought I better call city's Urban Forester first. I didn't want to get fined. City would only allow 5 trees to be cut as long as they did the cutting at $650 per tree. Needless to say I just keep leaf rank and Jandy Leaf handy and pray for a big strong to blow them down in the opposite direction. I've had a pool all my life but no trees around. After buying the house w pool I thought "who would build a pool with a gazillion trees around it"? Then thought, dummy, who would BUY a house with a pool with a gazillion trees around it! Umm...that'd be me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.