Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I hook up my Polaris cleaner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pittsburg, KS

How do I hook up my Polaris cleaner?

I am new pool owner, we just moved here in Feb. The previous owner left us with a pool full of leaves and pollen as well as a Polaris 280 cleaner in the shed. I am having the darnedest time figuring it out. The easy disconnect part is too big for the eyeball return jets (even when I remove them). I have a booster pump but can't see that this model runs off a pump. The manual says it connects to a return line. I have this plug in the side of the pool - pic attached. Can anyone tell me if I should remove that plug and use it for the cleaner?

7000 Gal IG pool, gunite construction, intellichlor SWG, Hayward sand filter, 1hp pump
    First year pool owner: 17,000 gal IG gunite, kidney shape approx 13' x 17'; 1 HP pump, Hayward sand filter, Intellichlor SWG, Polaris 280 robot, all run by EasyTouch. Using TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: How do I hook up my Polaris cleaner?

The 280 does require a booster pump, so there must a a return in the pool that is attached to the booster pump outlet. I would guess that the plug you are showing is that return and where you would hook up the cleaner.

I would remove that plug and then turn on the booster pump to see if water starts coming out of that return.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How do I hook up my Polaris cleaner?

Turn the booster pump on and see which return water starts coming out of. Or turn the main pump on (leave the booster off) and see which return water is not coming out of (or coming out much slower than the other returns).
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone: